Home | News    Sunday 25 November 2007

Chad rejects rebel claims as peace deadline looms


November 24, 2007 (NDJAMENA) — Chad’s government said it was "unpleasantly surprised" Saturday at accusations by the country’s two biggest rebel groups that Ndjamena was failing to implement a peace accord — which runs out Sunday.

On Friday the Union of Forces for Democracy and Development (UFDD) and the Rally of Forces for Change (RFC) accused the Chad government of failing to send a delegation to Sudan for further negotiations on the peace deal.

"A Chadian delegation is ready and willing to go to Khartoum as soon as proposals are published to discuss the confinement and disarmament" of signatories, the government said in a statement.

A month-long ceasefire agreed in October in the Libyan seaside city Sirte is due to expire on Sunday.

"We are unpleasantly surprised by the comments of Mahamat Nouri (president of the UFDD) and Timan Erdimi (head of the RFC) accusing us of not having sent a delegation to follow up the accord," the text said.

The Ndjamena government insisted it was "ready on our part to implement the accord."

"I think that Ndjamena forgot about the accord," Nouri told AFP in a telephone interview on Friday.

"We were to meet them in Khartoum in order to study the practical aspects and how to apply them, but the Chadian government did not send their delegation," said Nouri, one of the signatories of the deal sealed last month.

The four primary rebel movements from eastern Chad, including the UFDD, RFC, CNT (Chadian National Concord) and UFDD-F (UFDD-Fundamental) initialled the deal in Tripoli on October 3.

A formal peace accord was signed in Sirte on October 26 by all four groups and Chadian President Idriss Deby, in the presence of Libyan leader Moamer Kadhafi and Sudanese President Omar al-Beshir.

The terms of the one-month agreement included a ceasefire, the rebels joining Deby’s government, the release of prisoners and "total respect for the Chadian constitution."

No further move has been made by the government, according to Nouri, who did not exclude a resumption of hostilities after Sunday.


Comments on the Sudan Tribune website must abide by the following rules. Contravention of these rules will lead to the user losing their Sudan Tribune account with immediate effect.

- No inciting violence
- No inappropriate or offensive language
- No racism, tribalism or sectarianism
- No inappropriate or derogatory remarks
- No deviation from the topic of the article
- No advertising, spamming or links
- No incomprehensible comments

Due to the unprecedented amount of racist and offensive language on the site, Sudan Tribune tries to vet all comments on the site.

There is now also a limit of 400 words per comment. If you want to express yourself in more detail than this allows, please e-mail your comment as an article to comment@sudantribune.com

Kind regards,

The Sudan Tribune editorial team.

Comment on this article

The following ads are provided by Google. SudanTribune has no authority on it.

Sudan Tribune

Promote your Page too

Latest Comments & Analysis

President Kiir should extend equal justice recognition to John Agou 2018-03-17 08:35:01 By Deng Kur Deng Dear Mr. President, Is is the quest for equal justice that urges me to write to you today. Our quest didn’t begin with us, but it starts with you. All you have done for your (...)

Applying to the Arab League as the observer is recommendable but wrong time 2018-03-13 11:21:42 By Gatdiet Peter On 5 March 2018, a report from the Egyptian official news agency, MENA has flooded the media and captured a sharp attention of wider South Sudanese people that the Republic of (...)

Africa and UK Brexit 2018-03-10 22:34:34 By Ambassador Dhano Obongo Brexit is the media usage for Britain exiting the European Union (EU). After four decades of membership, last year England voted to quit the EU. Trade impacts will (...)


Latest Press Releases

Appeal for forgiveness and pardon of John Agou Wuoi 2018-03-07 08:28:08 H.E. Salva Kiir Mayardit, President and Commander-in-Chief, of the Sudan People's Liberation Army (SPLA), Republic of South Sudan (RSS), 5th February, 2018. Through: Hon. Michael Makuei Lueth (...)

Petition for release of Agou John Wuoi from prison 2018-02-15 20:45:31 Open letter to South Sudan President Salva Kiir Your Excellency, Kindly please permit me to take this rare opportunity to appreciate you for every effort you have made toward making South Sudan (...)

AUHIP Communiqué on Sudan & SPLM-N talks for cessation of hostilities agreement 2018-02-05 13:04:16 African Union High-Level Implementation Panel for Sudan and South Sudan Joint Statement on Unilateral Ceasefire, Cessation of Hostilities and Completion of Negotiations 1) With the facilitation (...)


Copyright © 2003-2018 SudanTribune - All rights reserved.