Home | News    Friday 14 December 2007

French charity workers trial in Chad on Dec 21

separation
increase
decrease
separation
separation

December 13, 2007 (NDJAMENA) — The criminal trial of six French charity workers, three Chadians and a Sudanese over a bid to fly out 103 children to France will begin on December 21, a legal source and one of the defendants said Thursday.

JPEG - 9.4 kb
Some of 103 children in Abeche after being seized by Chad as French charity Zoe’s Ark were trying to fly them to France Oct 26, 2007. (Reuters)

Another source said the trial should not last longer than a week — meaning that the six French accused could be starting lengthy prison sentences when their families are celebrating Christmas.

On Wednesday the authority that sends a suspect for trial decided that the case should be heard in a criminal court, rather than a lesser court.

A lawyer for the French accused, Abdou Lamian, said Thursday he would be lodging an appeal with the Supreme Court against the decision to send his clients to the criminal court.

The members of the French Zoe’s Ark charity face charges of attempted kidnapping, fraud and trying to skip the country without clearing their bills.

The other three — the mayor of the town of Tine, on the border between Chad and Sudan, his chief official and a Sudanese refugee — are being tried for complicity.

The defendants, who were taken to court Thursday to be informed of the trial date, risk terms of between five and 20 years of hard labour if found guilty.

The head of Zoe’s Ark, Eric Breteau, said as he emerged from the courthouse, "The farce goes on — apparently it’s the 21st, so we’ll be there."

Lamian has several times alleged that the Chadian authorities were rushing the trial through with unusual speed, infringing on the rights of the defence and legal procedure."

The six French accused began a hunger strike on Saturday to protest their innocence — although they are allowing themselves water and cigarettes.

The French were among a total of 17 Europeans arrested in the eastern Chadian city of Abeche after trying to fly the African children to France in October.

Lawyers for the charity workers previously requested their case be downgraded to misdemeanours, so they could face trial in a court where the charges against them carried lighter sentences.
Zoe’s Ark has argued the children were orphans from Darfur, the Sudanese region bordering Chad that is currently in the throes of a bloody conflict.

But international humanitarian organisations claim almost all the children are from Chadian villages in the border area, and have at least one parent or adult guardian.

Others connected to the affair — including three French journalists and seven Spanish aircrew and a Belgian pilot — were repatriated from Chad without charge at the start of September.

(AFP)

Comments on the Sudan Tribune website must abide by the following rules. Contravention of these rules will lead to the user losing their Sudan Tribune account with immediate effect.

- No inciting violence
- No inappropriate or offensive language
- No racism, tribalism or sectarianism
- No inappropriate or derogatory remarks
- No deviation from the topic of the article
- No advertising, spamming or links
- No incomprehensible comments

Due to the unprecedented amount of racist and offensive language on the site, Sudan Tribune tries to vet all comments on the site.

There is now also a limit of 400 words per comment. If you want to express yourself in more detail than this allows, please e-mail your comment as an article to comment@sudantribune.com

Kind regards,

The Sudan Tribune editorial team.

Comment on this article



The following ads are provided by Google. SudanTribune has no authority on it.


s
Sudan Tribune

Promote your Page too

Latest Comments & Analysis


Bring Sudanese troops home now 2018-04-21 15:25:57 By Salah Shuaib The Sudanese troops fighting hard now in Yemen, who were sent there by order of al-Bashir, should return home. The process of implementing this task is much challenging. But, we (...)

Dissolution and formation of the Cabinet - 2013 2018-04-20 08:00:00 Amb Telar Deng The events that led to the 2013 dissolution of cabinet can be traced back to the deep mistrust that fermented back in 1991 when leaders failed to close ranks. After the 1991 (...)

The Darfur issue remains in oblivion 2018-04-20 07:36:49 By Mahmoud A. Suleiman The victims and survivors of the atrocious crimes in the Darfur region where very few in the world cares for their plight continue feeling trapped, no way out but at the (...)


MORE






Latest Press Releases


Abyei celebrates Mine Awareness Day 2018-04-05 08:52:03 4 April 2018 | Abyei - The United Nations Interim Security Force for Abyei (UNISFA) and the United Nations Mine Action Service (UNMAS) commemorated the International Day for Mine Awareness and (...)

Appeal for forgiveness and pardon of John Agou Wuoi 2018-03-07 08:28:08 H.E. Salva Kiir Mayardit, President and Commander-in-Chief, of the Sudan People's Liberation Army (SPLA), Republic of South Sudan (RSS), 5th February, 2018. Through: Hon. Michael Makuei Lueth (...)

Petition for release of Agou John Wuoi from prison 2018-02-15 20:45:31 Open letter to South Sudan President Salva Kiir Your Excellency, Kindly please permit me to take this rare opportunity to appreciate you for every effort you have made toward making South Sudan (...)


MORE

Copyright © 2003-2018 SudanTribune - All rights reserved.