Home | News    Friday 26 February 2010

Government kills 50 civilians in two-day attack on Jebel Marra – Darfur rebels

separation
increase
decrease
separation
separation

February 25, 2010 (KHARTOUM) — A Darfur rebel group said the Sudanese army was attacking their positions in Jebel Marra since yesterday adding they repelled the assailants and killed dozens of soldiers while over fifty civilians are dead following the bombing.

JPEG - 21.8 kb
SLA rebels ride on the front of a truck with a bullet-ridden windscreen into the mountain village of Deribat in South Darfur state in western Sudan November 16, 2004. (Reuters)

Given that Sudan’s government signed two days ago a ceasefire agreement in Doha with JEM rebels and another group, Liberation and Justice Movement (LJM), is expected to soon sign a truce with Khartoum, the attacks on SLM of Abdel Wahid Al-Nur are seen as military pressure to force the popular rebels to join the peace process.

Earlier this week the rebel SLM-AW accused some splinter commanders of operating conjointly with the army and Janjaweed militia. Today Nourredine Janga, a rebel commander, repeated these accusations.

Speaking to Sudan Tribune by satellite telephone from northern Darfur, Janga said the attack began Wednesday in the afternoon about 4:00 p.m. (local time) when army troops transported by some 80 vehicles attacked Aradyeb Al-Asharah, in northern Jebel Marra.
The two days of fighting resulted in the death of 73 army soldiers, he claimed, adding they captured 16 Toyota Land Cruiser vehicles with heavy weapons and munitions.

During an electoral meeting held in El-Fasher on Wednesday, Sudanese President Omer Al-Bashir said "the war in Darfur is over" alluding to the ceasefire agreement signed with the Justice and Equality Movement on Tuesday.

"The war continues in Darfur, and when Al-Bashir was dishonestly speaking about the end of war his troops were attacking the civilians in the area where over 40 people were killed and 28 young girls and 8 women were raped," said the rebel commander who promised to revenge the dead people and raped women.

"Now you will see we will carry out the next offensive; we will not wait for them and the war will be more intense," angrily said the commander, adding "the blood of their relatives is feeding their struggle."

He said the indiscriminate bombing of Sudanese warplanes killed the signficant number of villagers there. According to Janga, Antonovs, Migs and helicopters participated in the two day attack.

Medecins du Monde, the only aid group working in the area, suspended its medical action saying it had been forced out of Deribat by Wednesday’s military attack. The French aid group also said its health center in Feina had been looted on February 18, depriving some 30,000 people of treatment conducted from the single medical structure.

The peacekeeping mission reported yesterday that some 1500 people have been displaced to Thur, West Darfur, as a direct result of the fighting in Jebel Marra area. The announcement was made following a UNAMID mission sent to the area to investigate humanitarian effects of last month’s fighting in that part of Jebel Marra.

Commenting on the attack, Abdel Wahid Al-Nur, SLM leader, condemned it, saying attacks will not bring them to the negotiating table, adding only civilians’ security and their protection can convince Darfur rebels to accept peace talks.

"What is seen as intransigence is actually the demand of Darfurian people who are subjected to the killing, rape and displacement on a daily basis" he said.

"I’m a voice of Darfur’s people" he said adding "oppression has never defeated the will of people"

Yesterday the French government pressed Al-Nur to join the Doha process to end the seven year conflict and negotiate a peaceful settlement in Darfur.

Speaking to Sudan Tribune, Nur said since his arrival in Paris, French authorities have been speaking with him on the need to hold peace talks with the government.

However, the rebel leader underscored the need to put pressure on the government to stop attacking civilians in Darfur. "I urge the international community to help us and the mediation in this regard".

"Those who are killed in Darfur on a daily basis are from my family and relatives, so we are the first concerned by this conflict because we are the victims of this war," said Al-Nur. He added this conflict will not reach an end "unless the government stops its atrocities".

The SLA-AW last month in a singular move carried out an attack on the Sudanese army and took control of Gulu, the capital of Jebel Marra. The rebels said they intended to protect the civilians in the area.

During prior years the rebel group had said it was committed to the April 2004 ceasefire agreement signed with the Sudanese government in Addis Ababa, but the recent development shows that the rebel group has brushed aside this old doctrine.

The commander Noureddine also mentioned heavy fighting in another two areas, Deribat and Kutru, and said they are resolved to show to the government their "ugly face" after several years of patience.

(ST)

Comments on the Sudan Tribune website must abide by the following rules. Contravention of these rules will lead to the user losing their Sudan Tribune account with immediate effect.

- No inciting violence
- No inappropriate or offensive language
- No racism, tribalism or sectarianism
- No inappropriate or derogatory remarks
- No deviation from the topic of the article
- No advertising, spamming or links
- No incomprehensible comments

Due to the unprecedented amount of racist and offensive language on the site, Sudan Tribune tries to vet all comments on the site.

There is now also a limit of 400 words per comment. If you want to express yourself in more detail than this allows, please e-mail your comment as an article to comment@sudantribune.com

Kind regards,

The Sudan Tribune editorial team.
  • 26 February 2010 09:29, by Aduol Liet

    U.N.
    Is that killing could be blaming to you or Omar al Bashir.? According to our view, Omar al Bashir was the first cause for the killing, but now the presence of U.N. In Darfuri and doing nothing to Sudan government has brought U.N. To be blame even more than Omar al Bashir whose already a killer man.

    The question anyone can ask, what is the role of U.N. Troops in Sudan.?

    repondre message

  • 26 February 2010 11:50, by Time1

    SLM of Al Nur need to hurry up, until now they do not have any program for peace talks, they do not have any sort of demands or agenda for peace, Al Nur need to have both program for the battle field and also program for the peace talks, let them put their demands forward am sure their demands is not very different from JEM and other rebel groups. Fighting now is not carried out just to waste time, you carry out attack to capture a few strategic areas to assert your presences ont he ground then you move on to the negotiation table for burgain peace talks, But if you just continue to fight with no mission, you will only prolong the suffering of the civilians.

    repondre message

    • 26 February 2010 14:47, by Mathiang BT

      Sorry brothers/sisters in Darfur who are sleepless. why God Darfur and South? When is Khartoum going to pay for the crime?
      UN must do something to help Darfurian out.
      Al Nur need to be on ground not in French.
      Any way,, God have his own plan,,

      repondre message

      • 26 February 2010 16:42, by maduel Anok

        Its noing new or strange to have both paricipants carryingout sporadic and spiral violents on the civilians they claim to protect go un harm.

        inorder to fit in the Sudanese politics needs to be paid by bloodful carnage.

        agaod bless Sudan

        repondre message

Comment on this article



The following ads are provided by Google. SudanTribune has no authority on it.


s
Sudan Tribune

Promote your Page too

Latest Comments & Analysis


Sudan’s removal from terror list taints U.S. values 2018-11-10 08:34:32 November, 9th, 2018 The Honorable Michael Richard Pompeo Secretary of State U.S. Department of State 2201 C St NW, Washington DC 20520 USA RESPONSE BY SUDAN LIBERATION MOVEMENT (SLM/A-AW) TO (...)

R-ARCISS: A Peace that divides the signatories and non-signatories 2018-11-10 07:58:28 By Tito Awen, Juba-South Sudan I keep wondering if peace can divide or unite the partners. I am not so young nor unmindful not to have known what happened after signing of the Comprehensive (...)

U.S. Move Ignores Sudan’s Abuses Against its Own People 2018-11-09 06:56:11 U.S. Considers Lifting Sudan’s ‘Terror State’ Designation By Jehanne Henry With all eyes on mid-term elections in the United States, almost no one noticed that on the same day the US State (...)


MORE






Latest Press Releases


Progress observed at end of second month of R-ARCSS implementation 2018-10-22 06:44:02 Press Release 21 October 2018 South Sudanese government released 24 detainees in the implementation of the revitalized peace agreement said the International Committee of the Red Cross (ICRC) (...)

4th Annual Tony Elumelu Foundation Entrepreneurship Forum Announced for 25th October 2018 2018-10-15 12:38:14 PRESS RELEASE OCTOBER 14, 2018 Africa’s leading entrepreneurship-focused philanthropic organisation, the Tony Elumelu Foundation (TEF), has announced October 25, 2018, as the date for its (...)

Unity State community in Kenya supports Khartoum peace agreement 2018-08-17 08:33:21 PRESS STATMENT 14th Aug, 2018 Re: We shall Rally behind Khartoum Peace Agreement The Unity State Community Association in Kenya was established in 2010 to organize and mobilize the people of (...)


MORE

Copyright © 2003-2018 SudanTribune - All rights reserved.