Home | News    Monday 3 May 2010

Sudatel paid millions of dollars in bribes to win cell phone license in Senegal: report

separation
increase
decrease
separation
separation

May 2, 2010 (WASHINGTON) — Sudan’s telecom company, Sudatel, paid some $40 million to bribe Senegalese and foreign lobbyists in 2007 in order to get a cell phone license in the western Africa country of Senegal, a local press disclosed this week.

JPEG - 8.5 kb
Sudan’s telecom company HQ

In 2007, Senegal had decided to issue a license to the country’s third mobile network operator and called on international firms to come forward with offers detailing the technical and financial aspects of the proposal.

Sudatel, which is 26-percent state-owned, at the time hired Arab and unidentified U.S. lobbyists to help win the contract. The operation had been managed by three individuals: Hussein Abu-Basseet, Hamza Al-Hassan and Abdel- Aziz Osman, according to the weekly Senegalese magazine La Gazette, in its edition of this week

These three people have managed on behalf of Sudatel to convince the authorities to award them Senegal’s third mobile license .

Sudatel won the reportedly $200 million license from 11 other competitors, including the Kuwaiti-owned Zain and Bintel of Saudi Arabia.

The agreement between Sudatel and its lobbyists provided for payment of a commission of $10 million for American and Arab “experts” who conducted the transactions, while the Senegalese partners received $30 million.

A Senegalese company, The Red Sea, an offshore company whose headquarters is based in Dubai was the main beneficiary of the commissions paid. Informed sources said the firm is headed by a son of the President Abdoulaye Wade.

The magazine said that around $100 million of the contract was transferred by Sudatel to the United Arab bank based in Abu Dhabi with Red Sea firm as the beneficiary while another $100 million was sent to Central Bank of West African States - BCEAO.

La Gazette alleged that the U.S. consultants had been paid while the Arab partners who did not receive their commission, lodged a complaint in 2008 before a court in Dubai against this Senegalese holding firm asking for disbursement of $10 million or its equivalent in UAE Dirhams.

(ST)

Comments on the Sudan Tribune website must abide by the following rules. Contravention of these rules will lead to the user losing their Sudan Tribune account with immediate effect.

- No inciting violence
- No inappropriate or offensive language
- No racism, tribalism or sectarianism
- No inappropriate or derogatory remarks
- No deviation from the topic of the article
- No advertising, spamming or links
- No incomprehensible comments

Due to the unprecedented amount of racist and offensive language on the site, Sudan Tribune tries to vet all comments on the site.

There is now also a limit of 400 words per comment. If you want to express yourself in more detail than this allows, please e-mail your comment as an article to comment@sudantribune.com

Kind regards,

The Sudan Tribune editorial team.
  • 3 May 2010 06:45, by Dinka Boy

    This is a serious crime.

    repondre message

  • 3 May 2010 08:43, by David_N

    Hey, Sudani should be aware of that like Ponzi shame, the Nigeria, Senegal, and it’s kinds, the Western Africans are the professional of these trait!

    Once the currency transfered, there will be any hope for your money can be return!

    It is how the slaves of West Africa were sold to Obama’s country 1600-1900AD.

    Ancle Sam has the last technique to attack Arabs!!!
    This is the retaliation against Khartoum.

    repondre message

Comment on this article



The following ads are provided by Google. SudanTribune has no authority on it.



Sudan Tribune

Promote your Page too

Latest Comments & Analysis


South Sudan and the inhumanity of the death penalty 2019-02-20 12:35:43 By Kur Ayuen Kou I am deeply appalled by the continuous use of the death penalty as the best form of punishment in our fractured society. In a span of one week, South Sudan has carried out six (...)

Evidence suggests inevitable victory of the 3rd Sudanese Revolution 2019-02-20 12:24:17 By Mahmoud A. Suleiman This is Third Sudanese Revolution, which broke out in December 2018, and has been going on for the Sixty Two days without a pause is worthy of Triumphant Victory. It is as (...)

Sudan’s December Revolution is not an Arab Spring 2019-02-16 08:14:10 By Mubarak Ardol Why the Sudanese have decided to put an end to the regime which has ruled them for three decades. Why is this happing now? It is known that Mr Bashir came to power in Sudan by (...)


MORE






Latest Press Releases


Ethnic Murle politicians say enough to cattle raiding 2018-12-28 09:32:00 December 27, 2018 (JUBA) - Murle political leaders in Buma state have vowed to end the practice of cattle raiding and child abduction by individuals in the community. Jodi Jonglei, who is also (...)

CEPO: South Sudan Opposition Alliance (SSOA): Stop politics of split and focus on R-ARCSS implementation 2018-12-26 09:53:29 26th December, 2018. South Sudan Opposition Alliance internal leadership change frication is disturbing and demoralizing public opinion. The big question CEPO is raising, will SSOA be a strong (...)

Progress observed at end of second month of R-ARCSS implementation 2018-10-22 06:44:02 Press Release 21 October 2018 South Sudanese government released 24 detainees in the implementation of the revitalized peace agreement said the International Committee of the Red Cross (ICRC) (...)


MORE

Copyright © 2003-2019 SudanTribune - All rights reserved.