FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Leadership of Nuer Youth and Ngundeng’s Historical Society,
Juba, South Sudan
June 12, 2013 - Due to the announcement made by President Bashir to abrogate the September, 27th Agreement signed last year between the Government of Sudan and the Government of South Sudan, the leadership of Prophet Ngundeng’s Historical Society convened a meeting with the leadership of Nuer Youth in Juba to discuss the threats posed by the North. The threat posed by the North is not only the abrogation of the Sept. 27th Agreement. However, President Bashir called for Jihad against the South by telling the Northern youth to be mobilized to confront the South militarily.
Given the language of war expressed by President Bashir towards the South, the leadership of Ngundeng’s Historical Society and the Nuer Youth in Juba passed the following resolutions.
1. The Nuer Youth called for all the politicians of South Sudan to unite behind President Kiir in order to safeguard the territorial integrity of South Sudan. In time of war, people always leave aside their differences and unite behind their leadership to confront the external threat.
2. The Nuer Youth and the Ngundeng’s Historical Society called upon all the youth of South Sudan to support President Kiir to guide our country in this turbulent time. It should be noted that President Kiir was elected by the youth in 2010 and he is of course their leader. The South Sudan youth have a national duty to defend the country by rallying behind their democratically elected leader.
3. The Nuer Youth called upon SPLM Political Bureau to pass a resolution to postpone SPLM-Convention for two years in order for the leadership to work together as a team to confront the challenges facing the country. The most urgent threat to the South is the economic war declared by President Bashir. Conducting SPLM-Convention is not a priority now and the leadership should not focus on a project that would bring more harm than good to the nation. South Sudan national survival comes before the SPLM-Convention.
4. The Nuer Youth called upon President Kiir to reach out to South Sudan political parties, including the SPLM-DC, to work with him to safeguard the national interest of the South which is now being threatened by President Bashir.
5. The Nuer Youth also called for nationwide mobilization of the youth to support the President and the security organs such as the SPLA to defend the territorial integrity of South Sudan.
Hon. Gai L. Ngundeng
Chairman of Ngundeng’s Historical Society
Juba, South Sudan