Home | News    Tuesday 29 October 2013

Congolese army retakes three towns from M23 rebels

separation
increase
decrease
separation
separation

October 28, 2013 (GOMA) - The Congolese army (FARDC) said on Sunday it had retaken three towns which were initially under control of M23 rebels.

Army Spokesman, Lt. Col. Olivier Hamuli, told The Associated Press that Rutshuru, Kiwanja and Buhumba towns, in Kivu province, near the Congo- Rwanda border had been taken after the rebels were pushed back towards the Rwandan border.

But in a statement posted on social media on Monday, the M23 said they were “pulling out from all plains to take positions in [the] mountains”.

“We are not daft. The coming days will tell”, the rebels said, hinting at possibilities of more fighting in the region.

In Kibumba, one of the towns retaken, FARDC said it had discovered two mass graves. A local official in the area was quoted as saying the army was under instruction not to tamper with the site until investigations by the government and the UN mission in the country (MONUSCO) were complete.

UN PEACEKEEPER KILLED

The UN said a peacekeeper from Tanzania was killed while protecting civilians on Saturday, while another Tanzanian soldier was injured according to Sly Koumbo, the UN information officer.

“The soldier died while protecting the people of Kiwanja”, Martin Kobler, the head of MONUSCO, said in a statement.

The UN has a 3,000-strong intervention brigade in DRC with a mandate to use force.

Although MONUSCO forces have previously fought M23 rebels alongside the Congolese army, it has not been involved in the latest fighting.

Renewed fighting broke out on Friday between M23 rebels and FARDC.

The clashes are the first to occur in two months and come after the collapse of peace talks in Kampala between rebels and the DRC government.

The talks collapsed after a disagreements over a proposed amnesty for rebel fighters and their reintegration into FARDC.

VIOLENCE COULD SPREAD, WARNS US

On Monday, the United States said fresh violence in eastern DRC could drag neighbouring countries into the conflict and urged M23 and the government to resume peace talks.

“There are enormous risks in simply moving forward believing that a military solution is a full answer”, Russell F. Feingold told reporters in Paris after returning from a trip to Uganda, Rwanda and Congo.

“It risks bringing in other forces in this matter that could lead to a cross-national war”, said Feingld who is the US special envoy for the Great Lakes

Rwanda has issued a stern warning to DRC, saying it will retaliate amid claims shells fired by the Congolese army injured one person in Rwanda.

“If they are not ready to stop this, we will immediately act and it will hurt”, said Eugene Richard Gasana, Rwanda’s ambassador at the United Nations.

“We will do it with laser precision, we know where it is coming from”, he added.

Rwanda has been accused by both the UN and Congo of supporting M23 rebels. It denies the claims.

(ST)

Comments on the Sudan Tribune website must abide by the following rules. Contravention of these rules will lead to the user losing their Sudan Tribune account with immediate effect.

- No inciting violence
- No inappropriate or offensive language
- No racism, tribalism or sectarianism
- No inappropriate or derogatory remarks
- No deviation from the topic of the article
- No advertising, spamming or links
- No incomprehensible comments

Due to the unprecedented amount of racist and offensive language on the site, Sudan Tribune tries to vet all comments on the site.

There is now also a limit of 400 words per comment. If you want to express yourself in more detail than this allows, please e-mail your comment as an article to comment@sudantribune.com

Kind regards,

The Sudan Tribune editorial team.

Comment on this article



The following ads are provided by Google. SudanTribune has no authority on it.


s
Sudan Tribune

Promote your Page too

Latest Comments & Analysis


Another electoral farce Sudanese should expect in 2020 2018-06-18 02:08:16 Sudanese Elections Scheduled for 2020 will be Fraught with Dangers andCounterfeiting like its predecessors By Mahmoud A. Suleiman The National Congress Party (NCP) regime’s Elections Scheduled (...)

Salva Kiir’s kingdom of doom 2018-06-16 12:31:50 By Duop Chak Wuol Empires come and go, regardless of whether they are good or bad. One of the chief measures employed by historians is an investigatory examination into the legacies the empires (...)

Darfur remains at crossroads as Bashir takes it protective cover from ICC 2018-06-12 14:19:46 By Mahmoud A. Suleiman This article comes against the backdrop of the statement attributed to Sudan's ruling regime as saying that it is the “Time for UNAMID to leave Darfur” (...)


MORE






Latest Press Releases


The Suspension of Hurriyat Online Newspaper 2018-04-29 07:04:37 Sudan Democracy First Group 28 April 2018 The Sudanese civil and political circles and those concerned with Sudan were shocked by the news that the management of Hurriyat online newspaper has (...)

Petition on the Deteriorating Human Rights and Humanitarian Situation in Sudan 2018-04-22 10:01:20 UN Secretary-General, New York African Union Commission, Addis Ababa UN High Commissioner for Human Rights, Geneva Petition on the Deteriorating Human Rights and Humanitarian Situation in Sudan (...)

Abyei celebrates Mine Awareness Day 2018-04-05 08:52:03 4 April 2018 | Abyei - The United Nations Interim Security Force for Abyei (UNISFA) and the United Nations Mine Action Service (UNMAS) commemorated the International Day for Mine Awareness and (...)


MORE

Copyright © 2003-2018 SudanTribune - All rights reserved.