Home | News    Thursday 16 October 2014

Sudan declines to host the 2015 Africa Cup finals over Ebola fears

separation
increase
decrease
separation
separation

October 15, 2014 (KHARTOUM) – The Sudanese government has refused to host the 2015 Africa Cup of Nations next January, asking the Sudan Football Association (SFA) to postpone hosting of the 2017 tournament finals.

JPEG - 16.5 kb
The logo of the Africa Cup of Nations 2012 is seen on a giant screen during the draw ceremony for the CAF 2012 competition in Malabo on 29 October 2011 (Photo: AFP)

The decision comes two days after officials in SFA expressed Khartoum readiness to host the finals instead of the original host, Morocco.

Morocco’s government has written to the Confederation of African Football (CAF) to delay the 17 January to 8 February event because of the Ebola outbreak.

The CAF said it would discuss Morocco’s request to defer the date at the next meeting of its executive committee on November 2 nd.

More than 4,000 people have died from the Ebola epidemic, most of them in west African countries Guinea, Liberia and Sierra Leone - since the beginning of the year.

Guinea and Sierra Leone are involved in ongoing group qualifiers while Liberia were eliminated in the preliminary knockout phase.

The Sudanese cabinet on Wednesday has commissioned the minister of youth and sports, Abdel-Hafiz al-Sadiq, to convey its decision to SFA.

Al-Sadiq also received a presidential directive to delay Sudan’s hosting of the 2017 African Cup of Nations finals.

The minister of health, Bahar Idriss Abu Garda, said in press statements that the cabinet meeting on Wednesday, in the presence of the relevant ministries including youth and sports ministry, decided to refuse hosting the 2015 tournament.

He said Ebloa is an infectious and deadly disease which is widely spread in West African countries, noting the latter are the most participating nations in the tournament finals.

“This is a real risk and the country must not take it,” he added.

Abu Garda underscored that his ministry took several measures to prevent the spread of Ebola in Sudan, pointing to formation of higher committee including the civil aviation corporation, foreign and interior ministries, security services, and the refugees’ commission besides the health ministry’s relevant committees in Darfur and eastern Sudan.

The minister said he does not think that Ebola poses potential risk to Sudan, expressing fear over the disease spread in Africa, America, Spain and Germany.

He pointed that several hospitals in Khartoum and trained doctors are ready to deal with any suspected cases of the disease, stressing close coordination with the World Health Organization (WHO) in this regard.

The SFA financial secretary, Osma Atta al-Manan, had earlier told the “Sudan Koora” website that CAF decided to put Sudan as the first variant if Morocco declined to host the finals.

He emphasised Sudan’s readiness to host the tournament, saying Khartoum could host three groups and a fourth one could be hosted in Port Sudan.

Atta al-Manan added that a trilateral meeting including the Sudanese presidency, SFA and the ministry of youth and sports will convene within the few coming days to support CAF’s decision to organise the tournament in Sudan.

(ST)

Comments on the Sudan Tribune website must abide by the following rules. Contravention of these rules will lead to the user losing their Sudan Tribune account with immediate effect.

- No inciting violence
- No inappropriate or offensive language
- No racism, tribalism or sectarianism
- No inappropriate or derogatory remarks
- No deviation from the topic of the article
- No advertising, spamming or links
- No incomprehensible comments

Due to the unprecedented amount of racist and offensive language on the site, Sudan Tribune tries to vet all comments on the site.

There is now also a limit of 400 words per comment. If you want to express yourself in more detail than this allows, please e-mail your comment as an article to comment@sudantribune.com

Kind regards,

The Sudan Tribune editorial team.
  • 16 October 2014 08:48, by Big Boy

    Dear SAF,
    How are you host the final while you are going to eliminated at the group stages? as well as you lose the game night and you are bottom on three points.The victory gave the Super Eagles their first group points and keeps alive their hopes of making a recovery from their disastrous start.

    repondre message

    • 16 October 2014 19:38, by Northern Sudanese

      nigeria was bottom yesterday, today sudan is bottom. they got 4 we got 3 points. things can change in the next 2 games. besides, the hosts of the AFCON automatically qualify for the tournament. morroco isn’t in any group because it hosts the tournament.

      sudan should not host 2015 or 2017. 2019? maybe....

      repondre message

  • 16 October 2014 15:34, by Hardlinner

    African cup organizers need to rethink about hosting of the cup. Ebola is indeed big threat that need to be tackle first. You should Prioritize lives first before the tournament.

    repondre message

Comment on this article



The following ads are provided by Google. SudanTribune has no authority on it.



Sudan Tribune

Promote your Page too

Latest Comments & Analysis


Who can unlock the current impasse in Sudan? 2019-07-01 06:44:52 By Luka Biong Deng Kuol Since the eruption of the Sudanese popular uprising on 19th December 2018, the protesters have made history. Not only have they unseated one of the longest-serving (...)

Victims of Sexual Violence in Sudan Deserve Justice 2019-06-19 07:16:08 by Tchérina Jérolon, and Daisy Schmitt Today, as we commemorate the International Day for the Elimination of Sexual Violence in Conflict, we demand accountability for sexual crimes committed in (...)

Ezekiel Lol reignites political begging as a Freedom of Expression 2019-06-14 22:49:39 Gatdiet Peter Here, the question is: to what extent does a politician become a “political beggar”? A politician becomes a beggar and (re)focuses on the “politics of begging” as soon as (s)he has (...)


MORE






Latest Press Releases


Sudanese lawyers and Human rights defenders back calls for civil rule 2019-04-26 10:22:06 Press statement by 55 Sudanese lawyers and Human rights defenders on Sudan Sit-in and Peaceful Protest Khartoum -24/04/2019 We, the undersigned (55) Sudanese lawyers and human rights defenders, (...)

South Sudan’s Lafon youth condemn killings of civilians by Pari community 2019-04-03 21:54:29 Press Statement on the Fighting between Pari/ Pacidi and Lotuko/Lokiri on 24/3/2019 Release by The Lafon County Youth Union: We, the Lafon County Youth Union hereby condemn the atrocities and (...)

Joseph Malwal Dong joined the SPLM/A -IO 2019-04-02 08:35:02 SPLM/A (IO) Press Release 1/4/2019 On Hon. Joseph Malwal Dong Joined the SPLM/A (IO) The leadership of the SPLM/A (IO) would like to seize this precious opportunity to announce to members and (...)


MORE

Copyright © 2003-2019 SudanTribune - All rights reserved.