Home | News    Saturday 2 January 2016

Sudan’s president extends cessations of hostilities for one month

separation
increase
decrease
separation
separation

January 1, 2015 (KHARTOUM) - President Omer Hassan al-Bashir declared a one-month cessation of hostilities and renewed his call for the armed groups to join the national dialogue process.

JPEG - 43.5 kb
President Omer al-Bashir speaking at the opening of the second parliamentary session 19 Oct 2015 (Photo SUNA)

Speaking on the occasion of the 60th anniversary of the independence on Thursday 31 December, al-Bashir said this decision comes within the framework of the government efforts create a conducive environment and to bring the holdout groups to the national dialogue process which he extended for one month last week.

"I am pleased to announce the government’s decision to extend the cease-fire for another month and I renew call to arms bearers to listen to the voice of reason and to join peace and the national dialogue which is run by a pure Sudanese will," he said.

On 22 September 2015, the Sudanese president issued a republican decree declaring a truce for two months and granted general amnesty for the armed movements that would join in the national dialogue conference which started on 10 October.

However, after the failure of the 10th round of peace talks in Addis Ababa last November the Sudanese army officials declared the resumption of military operations against the rebels in the Blue Nile and South Kordofan states.

The government and the Sudan People’s Liberation Movement North (SPLM-N) are expected to meet this January in a second round of informal discussions under the auspices of the African Union High-Level Implementation Panel (AUHIP) in Addis Ababa.

Sources close to the file of negotiations said the first meeting held last December was positive, because it gave the two parties for the first time the opportunity to discuss openly the pending issues and to understand the positions of each other.

Observers point that the second round could enable the two parties to draft some understandings on the national dialogue, the cessation of hostilities and the humanitarian access.

In a statement issued on the occasion of Sudan’s Independence Day, the SPLM-N leader Malik Agar reiterated their demand for a comprehensive solution in Sudan and denied reports about an agreement reached with Khartoum last December.

"I would like here to restate the position of the movement on the peaceful settlement, that the SPLMN will not sign any agreement that is not comprehensive involving all Sudanese stakeholders," Agar said.

He further reassured the SPLM-N allies in the "Sudan Call" that these "false" reports meant for triggering a political rift between his movement and the opposition forces.

"This regime must stand to be transform, we must all put our acts together to bring about change," he further stressed.

(ST)

Comments on the Sudan Tribune website must abide by the following rules. Contravention of these rules will lead to the user losing their Sudan Tribune account with immediate effect.

- No inciting violence
- No inappropriate or offensive language
- No racism, tribalism or sectarianism
- No inappropriate or derogatory remarks
- No deviation from the topic of the article
- No advertising, spamming or links
- No incomprehensible comments

Due to the unprecedented amount of racist and offensive language on the site, Sudan Tribune tries to vet all comments on the site.

There is now also a limit of 400 words per comment. If you want to express yourself in more detail than this allows, please e-mail your comment as an article to comment@sudantribune.com

Kind regards,

The Sudan Tribune editorial team.
  • 2 January 2016 10:50, by Kalo

    Meaningless so- called cessation of hostilities/case fire by NCP international criminal leader alBalid.

    repondre message

Comment on this article



The following ads are provided by Google. SudanTribune has no authority on it.


s
Sudan Tribune

Promote your Page too

Latest Comments & Analysis


Crackdown on peaceful protests against bread hike deserves strongest condemnation 2018-01-20 08:54:49 The Peaceful Sudanese Public Display of Discontent on Price Hikes has been suppressed by Excessive violence and arbitrary arrests Civil Rights Denial and Suppression by Excessive Violence in the (...)

Sudan: An ailing dictatorship, looming public protest, and desperate evasive tricks 2018-01-16 10:31:43 By TRAYO A. Ali In Khartoum, the capital city of Sudan (the city that knows no secrets, as is always described) the talk there is not about the uncomfortable Weather, which in this Season is (...)

What is going on between Egypt and Sudan? 2018-01-15 08:50:56 By Ahmed H Adam Ongoing tensions in the Red Sea region came to the fore in late December, when Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan visited Sudan as part of his Africa tour. During the visit, (...)


MORE






Latest Press Releases


South Sudanese rights group call to release political detainees 2017-12-10 07:50:31 THE INTERNATIONAL HUMAN RIGHTS DAY: 10 DECEMBER 2017: SSHURSA CALLS ON ALL TO ACTION FOR SOUTH SUDANESE The 10 December usually marks the international human rights day. SSHURSA notes with (...)

Reactions to government agencies’ conspiracy against Greater Bor community 2017-10-08 07:54:31 By Manyok Abraham Thuch & Kuch Kuol Deng A monkey business or a donkey business in the government of the republic of South Sudan against the citizens is unacceptable. Therefore, we as youth (...)

Amnesty calls to release Nubian activists detained over protest for cultural rights 2017-09-12 20:47:54 AMNESTY INTERNATIONAL PRESS RELEASE 12 September 2017 Egypt: Release 24 Nubian activists detained after protest calling for respect of their cultural rights Egyptian authorities should (...)


MORE

Copyright © 2003-2018 SudanTribune - All rights reserved.