Sudan’s SPLM-N denies mass resignations over Nairobi political pact
February 20, 2025 (NAIROBI) – The SPLM-N in Sudan, under Abdelaziz al-Hilu, rejected reports of widespread resignations linked to its involvement in political discussions in Nairobi to establish a parallel government within territories held by the RSF.
An unnamed source within the group had told Sudan Tribune that mass resignations occurred due to the SPLM-N’s involvement in the political charter.
However, Gatigwa Amoga Dalman, head of the SPLM-N’s National Liberation Council information committee, told Sudan Tribune that no resignations had been submitted in connection with the Nairobi talks.
“We have offices in 14 countries, and we are in daily contact with SPLM-N representatives in those offices. We have not received any information that any SPLM-N members have resigned,” Dalman said.
The media official described SPLM-N members as “conscious” and well-versed in the group’s procedures, dismissing the resignation claims as “rumours and lies” spread by Sudanese military intelligence.
He affirmed that the SPLM-N’s constitutional bodies – including the political and leadership councils, the National Liberation Council, the general secretariat, the civil authority for the New Sudan, and the Sudan People’s Liberation Army – had all approved and authorized participation in the political charter.
Dalman confirmed that all of these bodies were represented at the Nairobi meetings and actively participated in specialized committees focused on drafting a constitution and related documents.
SPLM-N leader Abdelaziz al-Hilu, speaking at the opening session in Nairobi on Tuesday, said the talks aimed to establish “the largest civil front supporting democratic civil transition, development, and prosperity.” He added that the charter would lay a foundation for ending the suffering of Sudanese citizens and opening humanitarian corridors for aid delivery.
