Sudan says 98% of combatants moved from capital
September 7, 2025 (KHARTOUM) – Sudan’s government said on Sunday it has removed more than 3,000 combatants from the capital, accounting for 98% of the fighting forces that were stationed in Khartoum state.
The move follows a July order from army chief Abdel Fattah al-Burhan to clear the capital of all military formations and armed groups within two weeks.
Ibrahim Jaber, a member of the Sovereign Council who heads the Khartoum Reconstruction Committee, told a press conference that new locations for the military formations have been designated outside the state.
He said police and security forces have been deployed at 13 entrances to the state, adding that “the protection of Khartoum is the responsibility of these forces.”
The evacuation comes amid rising complaints from residents in the capital’s seven localities about poor security due to the presence of army elements, allied forces, and “uncontrolled” armed groups blamed for theft and looting.
Jaber stated that informal housing areas had been “hotbeds for the rebellion” and were used to finance the war. He noted that the central Khartoum services were systematically destroyed, and the cost of rebuilding the ministries would be very high.
The government plans to relocate all ministries outside the city centre, except for the interior and health ministries, according to Sovereign Council Secretary-General Mohamed al-Ghali.
Defence Minister Lt. Gen. Hassan Daoud Kiberon said 3,226 combatants had been relocated to areas far from cities and that the army was among the first to vacate its headquarters in the capital.
Kiberon said that of 38,000 foreigners and refugees in the country, 2,000 have been repatriated. He urged citizens not to deal with undocumented foreigners and called on embassies to regularize the status of their nationals.
He also said demining teams have cleared thousands of mines in Khartoum State to help secure the return of residents.
