Friday, August 21, 2026

Sudan Tribune

Plural news and views on Sudan

U.S. sanctions networks supplying Sudan’s warring parties

The entrance to the GIAD industrial complex in Khartoum

The entrance to the GIAD industrial complex in Khartoum

June 26, 2026 (WASHINGTON) – The United States on Friday imposed sanctions on a network of individuals and entities accused of operating procurement and recruitment pipelines that fuel the devastating civil war in Sudan.

The U.S. Treasury Department’s Office of Foreign Assets Control (OFAC) said the targeted networks have enabled both the Sudanese Armed Forces (SAF) and the Rapid Support Forces (RSF) to expand and intensify the conflict, worsening one of the world’s severest humanitarian crises.

In a concurrent announcement, State Department Spokesperson Thomas “Tommy” Pigott said the networks supply weapons, explosives, and foreign fighters to both warring factions, prolonging a conflict that has provided space for terrorist groups to operate.

U.S. Treasury Secretary Scott Bessent said the administration remains committed to driving efforts toward a lasting peace in Sudan and ending the conflict. He added that networks profiting from the war jeopardize the chances for a humanitarian truce that the Sudanese people desperately need.

Alongside the targeting of specific networks, the State Department announced Washington is imposing a second round of sanctions on Sudan pursuant to the Chemical and Biological Weapons Control and Warfare Elimination Act (CBW Act).

These measures include opposing loans or financial and technical assistance to Sudan from international financial institutions, further export restrictions by the Commerce Department, and a ban on Sudanese state-owned air carriers from operating in the United States.

Washington called on the SAF and the RSF to accept and implement an immediate, unconditional three-month humanitarian truce to allow aid delivery, protect civilians, and create space for ceasefire negotiations. It also renewed calls for external actors to halt all financial and military support to the warring sides.

The new sanctions primarily hit suppliers linked to the military-controlled Defence Industries System (DIS), which oversees large subsidiaries including the Sudan Master Technology conglomerate, also known as Giad. The military uses DIS to maintain its arsenal, often drawing on supplies from Iran and other foreign backers.

Among the designated entities is Khartoum-based Target Multiactivities Company Ltd (TMAC), a wholesale company for chemicals and allied products established in 2009 and controlled by DIS through Giad. Its general manager, senior DIS officer Tariq Hussain Muhammad Madani, was also blacklisted.

According to the U.S. Treasury, TMAC imported explosives from foreign suppliers that were later used in bombs deployed by the Sudanese army. India-based manufacturer SBL Energy Limited, which also operates as Amin Explosives Private Limited and SBL Energy Private Limited, was sanctioned for allegedly supplying TMAC with more than 200 shipments of explosives since 2024.

U.S. authorities also blacklisted Alok Choudhari, an Indian national born in September 1970 and based in Raipur, Chhattisgarh, who is linked directly to SBL Energy Limited.

OFAC also designated Ports Engineering Company Ltd, a state-owned civil engineering construction firm established in 1998 and based in Port Sudan. Linked to Sudan Master Technology, the firm reportedly imported military uniforms and footwear for Sudanese intelligence from a company in the United Arab Emirates, alongside ammunition belts and weapons cases from a Turkish firm since the conflict erupted in April 2023.

The restrictions also targeted individuals tied to a transnational network that recruits former Colombian military personnel to fight alongside the RSF. The network, led by retired Colombian officer Alvaro Andres Quijano Becerra and his wife, Claudia Viviana Oliveros Forero, was previously sanctioned by Washington.

U.S. authorities blacklisted three individuals associated with Panama-based Talent Bridge, S.A., a company allegedly used to obscure the recruitment operations. The sanctioned individuals, who all held executive or managerial roles at the company, include Panamanian nationals Enrique Daniel Palacios Quintanilla and Jack Peter Derman Guzman, as well as Colombian national Fredy Alejandro Lopez Ocampo.

Friday’s measures freeze any U.S. assets held by the designated individuals and entities and broadly prohibit Americans from engaging in financial transactions with them under Executive Order 14098.