Sunday, November 21, 2021

Sudan Tribune

Plural news and views on Sudan

Sudan suspends family allowances programme

November 15, 2021 (KHARTOUM) – The Sudanese authorities officially suspended the Family Support Programme “Thamrat” which was dedicated to softening the impact of the cancellation of commodity subsidies.

In a statement released on 14 November, Thamarat Director Mutasim Ahmed Saleh announced the temporary suspension of the financial support until further notice.

“The management of the program is currently conducting consultations with the World Bank, the World Food Program (WFP) and the relevant authorities to reach an optimal formula for the resumption of registration and payment processes,” said Saleh.

The programme is managed by the World Bank and implemented by the Sudanese Ministry of Finance with the technical support of the WFP to develop a cash transfer delivery and payments system.

On October 27, World Bank Group President David Malpass said “greatly concerned” by the military coup and announced the suspension of all its operations in Sudan

“We hope that peace and the integrity of the transition process will be restored so that Sudan can restart its path of economic development and can take its rightful place in the international financial community,” he further stressed.

Thamarat director who was the spokesman of the Justice and Equality Movement further dismissed allegations that the money dedicated to this programme had been transferred to the accounts of the companies of the Sudanese army.

He called to not pay attention to rumours about the misuse of the program’s funds stressing that “All these funds are deposited and secured in commercial banks and the Central Bank, and no party can use them for any purpose other than to support families”.

Each family of six members receives 30 dollars a month. The programme enjoys the support of over US$900 million from the international community. Also, the Friends of Sudan pledged to give US$500 million.

(ST)