South Sudanese presidency slams governor over remarks on conflict
January 10, 2015 (JUBA) – A spokesperson for South Sudan’s presidency described as “irresponsible” remarks by Central Equatoria governor, Clement Wani Konga urging people from Equatoria region not to get involved in the “fight between the Dinka and Nuer” tribes.
Konga, while speaking at Friday’s swearing of his new cabinet members advised Equatorians to remain neutral in the current war.
“There is no value in joining this fight. It is the only chance for the people of Equatoria coming together so as to bring an end to this war between Dinka and Nuer,” he said.
However, Ateny Wek Ateny, the presidential spokesperson said Konga’s remarks were “unfortunate” since he is part of government.
“It is unfortunate governor clement Wani Konga had failed to know he is part of the government to make such irresponsible remarks. We believe the current war is not a war between the Dinka and Nuer but a war caused by people who wanted to change the government through unconstitutional means,” Ateny told Sudan Tribune.
He said the conflict was not a two-tribe affair as portrayed by many people since the government currently employs different tribes, including members of the Nuer.
“Also with the rebels, there are people from different tribes, including people from Equatoria. There are also Dinka on the side of those in the rebellion”, stressed Ateny.
Violence broke out in December 2013 following disputes in South Sudan’s ruling party as forces loyal to president, Salva Kiir battled those allied to his former deputy, Riek Machar for power.
Since then, tens of thousands of people have been killed and about 1.8 million displaced in the country’s worst-ever outbreak of violence since it seceded from neighbouring Sudan in 2011.