Sunday, November 28, 2021

Sudan Tribune

Plural news and views on Sudan

Another aid worker killed in South Sudan

IRC workers treat a child in South Sudan (IRC photo)
IRC workers treat a child in South Sudan (IRC photo)
May 24, 2021 (JUBA) – A second humanitarian worker was killed in the Unity State of South Sudan in less than two weeks, an aid group and the UN spokesperson said on Monday.

On 12 May, a humanitarian worker had been killed in Budi in Eastern Equatoria when gunmen ambushed a clearly marked humanitarian vehicle on the road from Chukudum to Kapoeta in Budi County.

The International Rescue Committee (IRC) announced that Dr Louis Edward Saleh Ufew, an IRC staff member was found dead in Panyijiar County, South Sudan, on Friday 21 May, under unclear circumstances.

The IRC further announced the immediate suspension of its humanitarian operations in Ganyliel Payam where he was killed.

“We are very concerned about the safety and well-being of our staff working on projects in the area,” said Caroline Sekyewa, IRC South Sudan Country Director.

For his part, UN spokesman Stephane Dujarric, told reporters that another attack was carried against the humanitarian group.

“On the same day in the same state, a humanitarian convoy carrying ten International Rescue Committee aid workers was shot at by gunmen on the outskirts of Guol Village. Fortunately, no one was injured”.

Attacks on aid workers and looting of humanitarian supplies are regular in South Sudan where more than 7.2 million people (over 60% of the population) are facing severe hunger.

The attacks on humanitarian staff are “happening particularly in Pibor in Jonglei State, where more than 108,000 people in hard-to-reach areas are facing catastrophic levels of food insecurity,” stressed Dujarric.

Ufew’s death is the second killing of an aid worker in South Sudan this year. Nine aid workers were killed in 2020.

126 humanitarian workers have been killed in South Sudan since the eruption of violence in December 2013.

(ST)