Home | News    Saturday 26 May 2007

WFP suspends work around Chad town after attack

separation
increase
decrease
separation
separation

May 25, 2007 (N’DJAMENA) — The United Nations World Food Programme (WFP) has temporarily suspended operations in an area of eastern Chad bordering Sudan’s Darfur after attackers beat up two local employees, a WFP spokesman said on Friday.

The attack took place on Thursday in Chad’s Biltine district at the town of Iriba, from where WFP supplies food to three U.N.-run camps sheltering 56,000 Sudanese refugees who have fled fighting in Darfur.

"Two of our local staff were attacked by intruders at their home and as a result we have suspended operations," WFP’s spokesman for West Africa, Marcus Prior, told Reuters.

The identity of the attackers was not immediately known.

Eastern Chad has suffered successive waves of violence over the last year, much of it spilling over from the western Sudanese region of Darfur, where political and ethnic conflict has raged since 2003.

This has included cross-border raids by Sudanese Janjaweed militia, attacks by eastern Chadian rebels opposed to President Idriss Deby and inter-communal violence between Arab and non-Arab communities. Hundreds of civilians have been killed.

U.N. officials said the two attacked Chadian WFP workers were evacuated to the capital N’Djamena on Friday and one was still seriously injured in hospital. The attackers in Iriba left a letter containing threats against other humanitarian staff, mentioning some of them by name.

"We feel threatened and targeted and we really want to know that the security situation will improve before we can become fully operational again," Prior said. U.N. relief agencies were waiting for Chadian army reinforcements to arrive in Iriba.

The latest attack occurred as Chadian authorities said they did not plan to extend a six-month state of emergency declared in November in several parts of the landlocked country, including the east and N’Djamena.

"If it needs to be prolonged then this will be done ... But at this stage there is no plan to do this, " Abderaman Djasnabaille, Secretary of State for the Interior, told Reuters.

The state of emergency, which included curfews and gave authorities sweeping powers to deal with ethnic fighting, expires on Saturday.

Chad’s opposition and rights activists have accused Deby’s government of using the emergency powers to try to muzzle critics and the media.

(Reuters)

Comments on the Sudan Tribune website must abide by the following rules. Contravention of these rules will lead to the user losing their Sudan Tribune account with immediate effect.

- No inciting violence
- No inappropriate or offensive language
- No racism, tribalism or sectarianism
- No inappropriate or derogatory remarks
- No deviation from the topic of the article
- No advertising, spamming or links
- No incomprehensible comments

Due to the unprecedented amount of racist and offensive language on the site, Sudan Tribune tries to vet all comments on the site.

There is now also a limit of 400 words per comment. If you want to express yourself in more detail than this allows, please e-mail your comment as an article to comment@sudantribune.com

Kind regards,

The Sudan Tribune editorial team.

Comment on this article



The following ads are provided by Google. SudanTribune has no authority on it.



Sudan Tribune

Promote your Page too

Latest Comments & Analysis


Implications of al-Bashir’s regime dismantling 2019-12-12 21:08:55 By Alhadi A. Khalifa The enactment of the law of dismantling the regime of Omar Albashir on 28 November 2019 represents a turning point in the march of the Sudanese revolution given its (...)

Security Arrangements in Sudan: Achilles heels of peace and democratic transformation 2019-12-10 05:47:59 By Elwathig Kameir This article is intended to act as an eye-opener for all the Sudanese political forces. It aims to shed light on the huge challenges that will be faced by the December (...)

Egypt final push to secure zero-sum water-share agreement 2019-12-09 14:11:32 By Ermias Hailu After Egypt’s failure to integrate Eritrea to its territories by the end of the second world war, due to Emperor Haile Selassie’s superior diplomatic skills, the then Egyptian Pan- (...)


MORE






Latest Press Releases


S. Korea supports UN communities building resilience project in Sudan’s Blue Nile 2019-09-09 09:26:41 UNDP Sudan September 5, 2019 (KHARTOUM) - An agreement was signed on 5th of September between the Korean Ambassador, His Excellency. Lee Ki-Seong and Dr. Selva Ramachandran, Resident (...)

Sudanese lawyers and Human rights defenders back calls for civil rule 2019-04-26 10:22:06 Press statement by 55 Sudanese lawyers and Human rights defenders on Sudan Sit-in and Peaceful Protest Khartoum -24/04/2019 We, the undersigned (55) Sudanese lawyers and human rights defenders, (...)

South Sudan’s Lafon youth condemn killings of civilians by Pari community 2019-04-03 21:54:29 Press Statement on the Fighting between Pari/ Pacidi and Lotuko/Lokiri on 24/3/2019 Release by The Lafon County Youth Union: We, the Lafon County Youth Union hereby condemn the atrocities and (...)


MORE

Copyright © 2003-2019 SudanTribune - All rights reserved.