Home | News    Tuesday 26 August 2008

Darfur rebels react angrily to Khartoum attack on displaced persons camp

separation
increase
decrease
separation
separation

August 25, 2008 (WASHINGTON) – Darfur rebel groups expressed outrage at an attack by Sudanese government soldiers and security officers on the largest displaced camp located in South Darfur leaving scores dead and many more injured.

Women hold up a sign depicting the kinds of deadly attacks that forced them to leave their homes at Zam Zam camp in Sudan’s North Darfur state, June 8, 2008 (Reuters)

“This is genocide happening before our eyes. The international community must live up to its responsibility and protect the civilians” the Justice and Equality Movement (JEM) spokesperson Ahmed Hussein told Sudan Tribune by phone.

“We cannot stand with our hands tied behind our backs while our people are being slaughtered” he said.

The Sudanese authorities justified the raid by claiming to have received reliable intel about weapons smuggled recently into Kalma camp which is at a strategic position because of its proximity to the Nyala airport and railways,

However Hussein dismissed the government’s statements and said that the plan was to disband the camp and remove its inhabitants.

“This is a plan orchestrated at the highest levels of government including Al-Bashir personally.
Al-Bashir had promised last year to make the Darfur displaced go home before the UNAMID forces arrive in Darfur” Hussein said.

“This is a very sad day for all of us” he added.

Sudan Liberation Movement (SLM) leader Abdel Wahid Al-Nur said he condemns the attack “in the strongest possible terms”.

Al-Nur accused the UNAMID forces of “failing to fulfill their duties to protect the Darfuri people”.

The SLM chief echoed Hussein’s remarks and said that Khartoum is deliberately targeting Darfur displaced population.

“These people fled the killings to these camps for safety after they lost everything. The government’s final solution is to kill them right where they are at” he said.

“The genocide campaign by Khartoum continues” Al-Nur stressed.

Today’s attack comes more than a month after the International Criminal Court (ICC) prosecutor Luis Moreno-Ocampo announced in mid-July that he requested an arrest warrant for Al-Bashir.

Ocampo filed 10 charges: three counts of genocide, five of crimes against humanity and two of murder and accused Al-Bashir of masterminding a campaign to get rid of the African tribes in Darfur; Fur, Masalit and Zaghawa.

Most of the Kalma camp residents are from the Fur tribe.

Ahmed Abdel Shafie, a commander in another faction of Sudan Liberation Army (SLA) told AFP that Khartoum wants to disband IDP camps near main towns to push the conflict under the carpet after the ICC move.

The incident may turn into a public relations nightmare for the Sudanese government which has been trying to demonstrate to the world its seriousness in pursuing peace in Darfur in order to counter the ICC move.

UN experts estimate some 300,000 people have died and 2.5 million driven from their homes. Sudan blames the Western media for exaggerating the conflict and puts the death toll at 10,000.

(ST)

Comments on the Sudan Tribune website must abide by the following rules. Contravention of these rules will lead to the user losing their Sudan Tribune account with immediate effect.

- No inciting violence
- No inappropriate or offensive language
- No racism, tribalism or sectarianism
- No inappropriate or derogatory remarks
- No deviation from the topic of the article
- No advertising, spamming or links
- No incomprehensible comments

Due to the unprecedented amount of racist and offensive language on the site, Sudan Tribune tries to vet all comments on the site.

There is now also a limit of 400 words per comment. If you want to express yourself in more detail than this allows, please e-mail your comment as an article to comment@sudantribune.com

Kind regards,

The Sudan Tribune editorial team.
  • 26 August 2008 03:17, by Henry Makuei

    It will be too late to cry when the head is cuts off, why Darur failed to confront Khartoum government and fight the way they fought SPLA on the government side? what fears after lossing more people and big suffering of your people, this is the right time to unite and voice one ward and mind you (Darfur rebels) don’t think there is good leader that is going to claim the right of Darfur a lone unless you are united come together and protect your people otherwise you will be finished like three bulls, red bull, white bull and black bull who were targeted by the lion according to their colours.

    repondre message

  • 27 October 2008 09:38, by wallker

    thanx for the updates..

    View online : http://afif.ws/sahat

    repondre message

Comment on this article



The following ads are provided by Google. SudanTribune has no authority on it.



Sudan Tribune

Promote your Page too

Latest Comments & Analysis


How we can construct a shared vision for South Sudan’s future? 2020-08-01 09:21:58 David Nyuol Vincent To craft a shared vision for the future of South Sudan is difficult but not impossible. To surpass the perilous situation in which we are in now, we need to learn to (...)

Establish capable security force in Darfur 2020-08-01 07:43:40 By Mahmoud A. Suleiman The Darfur region is destined to continue bleeding. Those who believe in that openly say whether Omer Al-Bashir is still in the rule of Sudan or deposed, the region of (...)

An Unconventional Sudanese Muslim Man 2020-07-29 14:42:58 Tribute to My Grandfather By Shahinaz Sabeel In this essay, Shahinaz Sabeel, a young Sudanese woman who grew up between Sudan, Canada and Uganda, recounts her relationship with her grandfather, (...)


MORE






Latest Press Releases


S. Korea supports UN communities building resilience project in Sudan’s Blue Nile 2019-09-09 09:26:41 UNDP Sudan September 5, 2019 (KHARTOUM) - An agreement was signed on 5th of September between the Korean Ambassador, His Excellency. Lee Ki-Seong and Dr. Selva Ramachandran, Resident (...)

Sudanese lawyers and Human rights defenders back calls for civil rule 2019-04-26 10:22:06 Press statement by 55 Sudanese lawyers and Human rights defenders on Sudan Sit-in and Peaceful Protest Khartoum -24/04/2019 We, the undersigned (55) Sudanese lawyers and human rights defenders, (...)

South Sudan’s Lafon youth condemn killings of civilians by Pari community 2019-04-03 21:54:29 Press Statement on the Fighting between Pari/ Pacidi and Lotuko/Lokiri on 24/3/2019 Release by The Lafon County Youth Union: We, the Lafon County Youth Union hereby condemn the atrocities and (...)


MORE

Copyright © 2003-2020 SudanTribune - All rights reserved.