Home | News    Wednesday 19 November 2008

US Secretary of State says she has ‘real regrets’ on Darfur

separation
increase
decrease
separation
separation

November 17, 2008 (KHARTOUM) —The US Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice admitted that she has “real regrets” over the handling of the crisis in the Western region of Darfur.

“I have regrets about Darfur, real regrets. I don’t know that there were other answers. The president considered trying to do something unilaterally - very difficult to do” Rice said in an interview with New York Times magazine.

Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice

The US has been the most outspoken country on bringing the issue of the Darfur. In September 2004 Washington officially labeled the conflict as ‘genocide’.

Last February US President George W Bush has defended his decision not to send troops to the region despite strong domestic pressure.

“I had to make a seminal decision. And that is whether or not I would commit US troops into Darfur” Bush told the British Broadcasting Corporation (BBC) in an interview.

But many Darfur activists accused the Bush administration of refusing to take more forceful steps against Khartoum to avoid jeopardizing their intelligence cooperation.

US officials denied the allegations saying that the counterterrorism cooperation has not prevented Washington from taking the lead on the Darfur crisis.

Rice criticized the UN Security Council (UNSC) for failing to impose sanctions on Sudan for putting a halt to the violence in Darfur region.

“I think it has been an enormous embarrassment for the Security Council and for multilateral diplomacy” the top US diplomat said.

“I think we thought "the responsibility to protect" meant something” she said before adding that and “in the Darfur case it has turned out to be nothing but words”.

Last year journalist Glenn Kessler at the Washington Post who often travels with Rice on her trips around the world, criticized her record on Darfur.

“Rice has also never been personally engaged in efforts to end the humanitarian tragedy in Sudan’s war-torn region of Darfur” Kessler wrote in a book he named ‘The Confidante’.

UN experts estimate some 300,000 people have died and 2.5 million driven from their homes. Sudan blames the Western media for exaggerating the conflict and puts the death toll at 10,000.

(ST)

Comments on the Sudan Tribune website must abide by the following rules. Contravention of these rules will lead to the user losing their Sudan Tribune account with immediate effect.

- No inciting violence
- No inappropriate or offensive language
- No racism, tribalism or sectarianism
- No inappropriate or derogatory remarks
- No deviation from the topic of the article
- No advertising, spamming or links
- No incomprehensible comments

Due to the unprecedented amount of racist and offensive language on the site, Sudan Tribune tries to vet all comments on the site.

There is now also a limit of 400 words per comment. If you want to express yourself in more detail than this allows, please e-mail your comment as an article to comment@sudantribune.com

Kind regards,

The Sudan Tribune editorial team.
  • 19 November 2008 06:12, by Akol Liai Mager

    I believe President Bush did want US unilateral military action in Darfur to to stop ethnic cleansing in Darfur , but Ms Conda Rice, the only person Bush listen to reject Bush’s intervention plan on ground that US must not intevence militarly in another Islamic country.

    Now, Ms Conda admitted wrong doing after golden chance to help Fur has been lost. Regretion is not fair enough for Darfur victims of rape, force displacement and denial of basic human rights. What Ms Conda needs to do is an official apoloy to Darfur people especially those women, children and elderly persons whom she sat amongst and promised them justice during her visit to Darfur displace camps.

    If Ms Conda offers her apology and advise her predecessor secretary of state being Hillary, John Kerry or Susan Rice Darfuris will forgive her. Regretion is too little, too late and doesn’t make sense.

    For the next US secretary of state please do not stop those who want to take action to stop genocide in Africa or elsewhere.

    World still waiting for answers from Ms Conda about US failures in Darfur.

  • 19 November 2008 10:53, by tayeb M. Alhassan

    She means to say goodbye!!!!



The following ads are provided by Google. SudanTribune has no authority on it.



Sudan Tribune

Promote your Page too

Latest Comments & Analysis


BlindsSelf-confidence and preparedness against Disasters in Sudan 2020-09-21 11:46:04 Why things are only getting worse and the papers are filled with stories of gloom and doom in Sudan? By Mahmoud A. Suleiman The answer to the previous questions needs to know the reasons first, (...)

South Sudan: On Right of Access to Information and Media 2020-09-19 15:01:51 By Roger Alfred Yoron Modi South Sudan’s Right of Access to Information Act, 2013, in Section 35, enshrines the following: 1- The Minister (Minister responsible for Information and Broadcasting) (...)

Is the Juba Peace Agreement a Turning Point for Sudan? 2020-09-15 18:48:43 By Dame Rosalind Marsden Sudan is looking towards a brighter future after the initialling of the Juba peace agreement on August 31, an important first step towards bringing peace to the conflict (...)


MORE






Latest Press Releases


Sudan: Performing arts is not a crime, assaulting women and artists is! 2020-09-20 08:54:28 The Strategic Initiative for Women in the Horn of Africa (SIHA) Sudan is still struggling with militant Islamist ideology KHARTOUM: Central Khartoum Primary Court issued a verdict against five (...)

Civil Society Statement in Response to The Law of Various Amendments 2020-08-14 07:11:00 A Collaborative Civil Society Statement in Response to The Law of Various Amendments (Abolishing and Amending Provisions Restricting Freedom) – Exposing ‘a wolf in sheep’s clothing’ Sudanese women (...)

Remarks by SRF leaders at the Friend of Sudan meeting on peace 2020-08-13 07:58:58 Chairman of the Friends of Sudan Conference, Your Excellency, Minister of Foreign Affairs of the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia, The Prime Minister of Sudan and the participating team from the (...)


MORE

Copyright © 2003-2020 SudanTribune - All rights reserved.