Home | News    Wednesday 8 September 2010

Allegations of deaths resulting from mobile phone calls are not true – Minister

separation
increase
decrease
separation
separation

By James Gatdet Dak

September 7, 2010 (JUBA) – The Minister of Telecommunications and Postal Service in the Government of Southern Sudan, Madut Biar Yel, has dismissed as “mere rumors” the alleged death of people resulting from some mobile phone calls in Southern Sudan.

For the last five days, rumors spread among the population that there were certain strange phone numbers, when calls were being received from, immediately exploded on the receivers’ phones and caused injuries or deaths. A number of people across the region were alleged to have already died because of the phone explosions.

The rumors caused certain degree of panic in the semi-autonomous region - with fast growing number of mobile phone users - as some people began to reject answering phone calls from numbers whose callers were not registered on receiver’s caller lists.

Madut however said the allegations about exploding mobile phones were not true, adding that there was nothing of that kind. He said investigations conducted showed that there was never any such kind of phone explosion or injury of anybody throughout Southern Sudan.

The Telecommunications minister said the allegations might have been created and spread by criminals who wanted to cause panic among the people. He said the government was investigating the sources of such false rumors so that culprits are charged in court of law when found.

Madut called on the population, particularly the mobile phone users, not to listen to such lies spread by criminals who wanted to falsely frighten the phone users.

(ST)

Comments on the Sudan Tribune website must abide by the following rules. Contravention of these rules will lead to the user losing their Sudan Tribune account with immediate effect.

- No inciting violence
- No inappropriate or offensive language
- No racism, tribalism or sectarianism
- No inappropriate or derogatory remarks
- No deviation from the topic of the article
- No advertising, spamming or links
- No incomprehensible comments

Due to the unprecedented amount of racist and offensive language on the site, Sudan Tribune tries to vet all comments on the site.

There is now also a limit of 400 words per comment. If you want to express yourself in more detail than this allows, please e-mail your comment as an article to comment@sudantribune.com

Kind regards,

The Sudan Tribune editorial team.
  • 8 September 2010 04:57, by Dr.Agany

    Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm!!!

    In a country where everybody is a journalist!!! That is how they spread rumors and stage baseless violence.

    • 8 September 2010 05:18, by Grader

      you’re right Agany

      You summed everything up

      • 8 September 2010 06:06, by Adok Liei

        That’s why our calls from abroad are not going through, i tried so many numbers of my relatives and friends but no one picking up......It’s so funy...some years back, it happened in one of Western world Counties, where technology is advance....but they didn’t do it an ordinary Citizens...they had a terget...people in every high positions in the Government...

    • 8 September 2010 13:30, by Michael Anyong

      question Which state in Southern Sudan does this allegations started from ? as I heard from minister that the deaths resulting from mobile phone calls became false . what is the name of the first victim ? female or male? which networks from all Southern Sudan Telecommunications postal services: Vivacell, Zain, Sudani and MTN which line and thanks

      Michael A.

    • 8 September 2010 16:28, by Dengcol malual

      Agany,

      you don’t get it because it is not that South Sudan is where everybody is a journalist. the allegation of mobile phone death started in India and Pakistan in 2009 and it happened in Kenya last month and now South Sudan. also it happened in Norway this year but the government dismissed the claimed.

      some of the expert said that these false allegation are mostly originated from Nigeria and China (Nation newspaper Sept 4)

  • 8 September 2010 06:16, by thokpiny de Deng de Thokpiny

    Although it has never happen in this soil ,phone death is not true and not false,fifty fifty .In the real scienctific world,high sound frequencies cause the bursting of tymphanic membrance leading to permanent deaf or brain hemorhage .When a person receive a phone call from a high frequency GSM Mobile, such an incident may happen but it is very rare.So the possibility cannot be rulled out

    • 8 September 2010 06:33, by Gatwech

      That is a lie Mr.

      There is no technology yet for such phone call vibration that can cause ear or brain damage. You are just imagining technology.

      What happens like the case of that Israeli killing of Palestinian leader some years back was first a planted small battery size bomb inside his office phone, then he was called and upon receiving the call the phone exploded using remote controller detonator somewhere.

      Another one was the killing of rebel leader by French government through phone. What the French did was to locate through phone call the exact position of the rebel leader and then launched the missile to hit him in that location.

      There is no other way to harm you through phone call, please. Don’t imagine technology out of proportion!

      • 8 September 2010 06:58, by mayom maboung marek

        Rumours including lies and truths, and this is totally barbaric for thoe who circluate those false information

      • 8 September 2010 07:33, by Johnny

        No, there is a technology for phone explosion; if you believe in technology, its doesn’t come by itself; technology is a made (words code to perform such anything man want) well study technology and you will know how easy it can be to start search technological activities for mobile phone explosion.

  • 8 September 2010 08:33, by Malou Manyiel

    Gentlemen,

    If you could imagine, this is how tribal conflicts is fueled by war mongers those who use to benefits from innocent blood. Such allegations being spread by fake journalists should not be considered at all. I never called some body or did I tell somebody in the facebook to be careful about explosive should he/she answered unknown calls since this allegations emerged. Thank God that lairs are ashamed now.

    God give us wisdom.... in South Sudan

  • 9 September 2010 13:28, by david

    Guys i got a call with a number having both rhe code of Uganda and Sudan plus the number. Iam thinking of distroying the Sim card because the act was when there was rumours of some numbers with high frequence which can cause brain harm and damage but i didnot receive the call.
    Thanks
    David

  • 20 March 2013 15:37, by dennishobson

    5nFh2ds8rKz3XUHXvkoVArgaCKdMaZssangyong madeira plastica plastic lumber I’m impressed, I must say. Really rarely do I encounter a blog that’s both educative and entertaining, and let me tell you, you have hit the nail on the head. Your idea is o



The following ads are provided by Google. SudanTribune has no authority on it.



Sudan Tribune

Promote your Page too

Latest Comments & Analysis


Invisible female victims of armed militia attacks in Darfur 2021-01-08 15:19:56 By SIHA Network* On October 19th 2020, an armed group burned down the IDP camps of Oum Assal, Babanousa and Om Zegerat in Gerida locality. Gerida locality is composed of a number of villages (...)

Account Inventory for December Revolution in Sudan 2020-12-19 20:34:35 By Mahmoud A. Suleiman This article comes against the backdrop of Sudan's Third Revolution as some like to call it, two years later during which Much has been achieved but risks still remain, (...)

SPLM pinning tales of lies to cover up failures! 2020-12-17 20:03:56 by: Khor Dol Kai It should be very clear, by now, that no single progress will be made or ever made-whether in short or long run-to reverse the damages already done and the seeds of division (...)


MORE






Latest Press Releases


Sudan: Performing arts is not a crime, assaulting women and artists is! 2020-09-20 08:54:28 The Strategic Initiative for Women in the Horn of Africa (SIHA) Sudan is still struggling with militant Islamist ideology KHARTOUM: Central Khartoum Primary Court issued a verdict against five (...)

Civil Society Statement in Response to The Law of Various Amendments 2020-08-14 07:11:00 A Collaborative Civil Society Statement in Response to The Law of Various Amendments (Abolishing and Amending Provisions Restricting Freedom) – Exposing ‘a wolf in sheep’s clothing’ Sudanese women (...)

Remarks by SRF leaders at the Friend of Sudan meeting on peace 2020-08-13 07:58:58 Chairman of the Friends of Sudan Conference, Your Excellency, Minister of Foreign Affairs of the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia, The Prime Minister of Sudan and the participating team from the (...)


MORE

Copyright © 2003-2021 SudanTribune - All rights reserved.