Home | News    Saturday 25 September 2010

Rwanda reverses plan to pullout peacekeepers in Darfur

separation
increase
decrease
separation
separation

September 24, 2010 (KHARTOUM) – Rwanda has confirmed reversal of a decision to prepare its troops serving with the UN-AU Peacekeeping Mission in Darfur (UNAMID) for immediate withdrawal if the UN pushed ahead with a report accusing the Rwandan army of committing crimes during a mopping-up military campaign in DR Congo in 1990s.

UN Secretary-General Ban Ki-Moon (left) with Rwandan President Paul Kegame in Kigali, Rwanda Wednesday, Sept 8, 2010 (AP Photos)Alain Le Roy, UN’s Under-Secretary-General for Peacekeeping Operations, told reporters yesterday that Rwandan President Paul Kagame, who was in New York this week to attend the U.N. General Assembly’s annual gathering of world leaders, had confirmed that Rwandan troops would stay in Darfur.

Last month, Rwanda threatened to end its participation with the UN in Sudan after a leaked report by the U.N. High Commissioner for Human Rights singled out the Rwandan Defence Force (RDF) for the worst pattern of crimes committed by various forces in Congo between 1994 and 2003.

Rwanda invaded Congo in 1994 to hunt down Hutu ethnic fighters who were involved in the genocide of some 800,000 Tutsis and moderate Hutus in Rwanda. The UN report alleges that the Rwandan army may have killed many Hutus civilians in the process.

News of the leaked report infuriated Rwanda whose military spokesman Lt. Col. Jill Rutaremara announced in early September that the country has finalized a contingency withdrawal plan from Darfur and Southern Sudan if the U.N. publishes its "outrageous and damaging report."

The UN Secretary-General Ban Ki Moon flew to Rwanda’s capital Kigali two weeks ago and negotiated a compromise allowing Rwanda to contribute comments to the report which is due to be released on October 01.

"After the visit of the Secretary-General in Kigali ... two weeks ago, President Kagame reconfirmed, and again here, that his troops will remain in the Sudan, and especially in Darfur," Le Roy said, adding that they are "extremely pleased by the decision."

Rwanda has 3,556 personnel serving with UNAMID as well as the UN Mission in Sudan. A similar withdrawal threat was made by the Rwandan government in 2008 for its troops in Darfur over the indictment by a Spanish court of UNAMID deputy commander Karake Karenzi along with 39 other Rwandan officers last February for war crimes allegedly committed in the mid-1990s.

The Rwandan president Paul Kagame has expressed frustrations in recent years over conditions encountered by his troops in Darfur and suggesting that a pullout will be the only option left.

(ST)

Comments on the Sudan Tribune website must abide by the following rules. Contravention of these rules will lead to the user losing their Sudan Tribune account with immediate effect.

- No inciting violence
- No inappropriate or offensive language
- No racism, tribalism or sectarianism
- No inappropriate or derogatory remarks
- No deviation from the topic of the article
- No advertising, spamming or links
- No incomprehensible comments

Due to the unprecedented amount of racist and offensive language on the site, Sudan Tribune tries to vet all comments on the site.

There is now also a limit of 400 words per comment. If you want to express yourself in more detail than this allows, please e-mail your comment as an article to comment@sudantribune.com

Kind regards,

The Sudan Tribune editorial team.

Comment on this article



The following ads are provided by Google. SudanTribune has no authority on it.



Sudan Tribune

Promote your Page too

Latest Comments & Analysis


Remembering Par Chongriah Nong of Greater Fangak 2021-06-12 06:22:51 By Bol Khan On 9th June 2020 South Sudan's Jonglei State lost a great; fair Father, a true legend and traditional leader. A leader with an enthralled and untold legacy worth shared, globally. (...)

South Sudan should reduce checkpoints, regulate taxes 2021-06-06 05:04:03 by Bol Khan The number of checkpoints across South Sudan has had inestimably increased during the recent past—deferred civil war. This includes a number of both legal and illegal checkpoints (...)

Remembering Abraham Chol Marial and William Ater Lual 2021-06-04 19:17:05 Ngor Arol Garang On Wednesday morning, I woke up to two nerve wrecking news. It was the passing of Abraham Chol Marial, a colleague and a longtime friend and William Ater Lual, a friend of my (...)


MORE






Latest Press Releases


S. Korea supports UN communities building resilience project in Sudan’s Blue Nile 2019-09-09 09:26:41 UNDP Sudan September 5, 2019 (KHARTOUM) - An agreement was signed on 5th of September between the Korean Ambassador, His Excellency. Lee Ki-Seong and Dr. Selva Ramachandran, Resident (...)

Sudanese lawyers and Human rights defenders back calls for civil rule 2019-04-26 10:22:06 Press statement by 55 Sudanese lawyers and Human rights defenders on Sudan Sit-in and Peaceful Protest Khartoum -24/04/2019 We, the undersigned (55) Sudanese lawyers and human rights defenders, (...)

South Sudan’s Lafon youth condemn killings of civilians by Pari community 2019-04-03 21:54:29 Press Statement on the Fighting between Pari/ Pacidi and Lotuko/Lokiri on 24/3/2019 Release by The Lafon County Youth Union: We, the Lafon County Youth Union hereby condemn the atrocities and (...)


MORE

Copyright © 2003-2021 SudanTribune - All rights reserved.