Home | News    Friday 19 April 2013

UNAMID chief calls for humanitarian access to recaptured Darfur towns

separation
increase
decrease
separation
separation

April 18, 2013 (KHARTOUM) – The head of the African Union-United Nations Mission in Darfur (UNAMID) on Thursday urged Sudanese authorities to ensure humanitarian access to civilians affected by the recent fighting in two towns of East Darfur.

The clashes between Sudanese army and rebels from Sudan Liberation Movement – Minni Minnawi (SLM-MM) over the control of Labado and Muhajeriya forced thousands of civilians to flee their home as over 18,000 sought refugee around the UNAMID sites there.

Mohamed Ibn Chambas, who took up official duties as UNAMID chief and joint mediator on 1 April, met Wednesday in Khartoum with the Sudanese interior minister Ibrahim Mahmoud Hamid where the two official discussed the situation in Darfur.

The Ghanaian diplomat underlined the deteriorating humanitarian situation in Labado and Muhajeria and urged the Government of Sudan to "ensure that UNAMID and United Nations’ humanitarian convoys are able access to (the two areas), in order to provide the humanitarian assistance to those in need".

Last Tuesday, the UN Resident and Humanitarian Coordinator in the Sudan, Ali Al-Za’tari called to allow humanitarian access to the civilians in the two towns of east Darfur stressing that "an outbreak of diarrhoea among children requiring urgent and immediate assistance".

Also the official Humanitarian Aid Commission, estimated that 36,000 people have sought protection at UNAMID bases in Labado and Muhajeria.

UNAMID had already raised the issue in a meeting of a tripartite mechanism including the African Union Sudanese government and United Nations held earlier this week in Addis Ababa.

The Sudanese government pledged more cooperation with the joint mission arguing that the imposed restrictions were due to security concerns.

In a statement to the official SUNA after the meeting with the new UNAMID chief, interior minister said the security situation is calm in Darfur except some looting incidents carried out by rebel groups, accusing the latter of attacking commercial convoys.
However, UNAMID spokesperson said that during the meeting "Chambas also urged the Government to prevent civilian loss of life and property as it re-establishes its control over these areas".

After the control of the two areas by the Sudanese government forces, the rebel SLM-MM accused the militias of killing two people in Labado and called on the international community to investigate the "massacre" that the government militia committed there.

(ST)

Comments on the Sudan Tribune website must abide by the following rules. Contravention of these rules will lead to the user losing their Sudan Tribune account with immediate effect.

- No inciting violence
- No inappropriate or offensive language
- No racism, tribalism or sectarianism
- No inappropriate or derogatory remarks
- No deviation from the topic of the article
- No advertising, spamming or links
- No incomprehensible comments

Due to the unprecedented amount of racist and offensive language on the site, Sudan Tribune tries to vet all comments on the site.

There is now also a limit of 400 words per comment. If you want to express yourself in more detail than this allows, please e-mail your comment as an article to comment@sudantribune.com

Kind regards,

The Sudan Tribune editorial team.


The following ads are provided by Google. SudanTribune has no authority on it.



Sudan Tribune

Promote your Page too

Latest Comments & Analysis


Toward viable future for South Sudan 2021-02-23 06:27:19 A critique of ICG’s Africa Report No. 300, 10 February 2021 Dr Lam Akol The International Crisis Group (ICG) issued its Africa Report No.300 on 10 February 2021. The report attempts to address (...)

18th anniversary of armed struggle in Darfur 2021-02-23 05:21:00 By Mahmoud A. Suleiman This article comes against the backdrop of the equal participation of members belonging to the armed struggle movements from the Darfur region in ministerial positions and (...)

Museveni proposal for political ethnicization in South Sudan is wrong prescription 2021-02-06 07:40:14 By Steve Paterno I just came across a video clip of President Yoweri Museveni of Uganda addressing a delegation of the USA and UK on the situation about South Sudan. The meeting took place (...)


MORE






Latest Press Releases


Sudan: Performing arts is not a crime, assaulting women and artists is! 2020-09-20 08:54:28 The Strategic Initiative for Women in the Horn of Africa (SIHA) Sudan is still struggling with militant Islamist ideology KHARTOUM: Central Khartoum Primary Court issued a verdict against five (...)

Civil Society Statement in Response to The Law of Various Amendments 2020-08-14 07:11:00 A Collaborative Civil Society Statement in Response to The Law of Various Amendments (Abolishing and Amending Provisions Restricting Freedom) – Exposing ‘a wolf in sheep’s clothing’ Sudanese women (...)

Remarks by SRF leaders at the Friend of Sudan meeting on peace 2020-08-13 07:58:58 Chairman of the Friends of Sudan Conference, Your Excellency, Minister of Foreign Affairs of the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia, The Prime Minister of Sudan and the participating team from the (...)


MORE

Copyright © 2003-2021 SudanTribune - All rights reserved.