Home | News    Monday 11 November 2013

M23 concerned over supervised disarmament under Congolese army

separation
increase
decrease
separation
separation

October 10, 2013 (KAMPALA) - The defeated Congolese rebel group, M23, has written to Ugandan president Yoweri Museveni expressing concern about disarming and demobilising under the supervision of their erstwhile opponents, the Congolese army((FARDC)

The M23 was last week defeated by the Congolese army supported by a United Nations brigade comprising of soldiers from South Africa, Tanzania and Malawi.

Shortly after the defeat, the rebels announced they were abandoning their 20 month old rebellion and that they were willing to disarm, demobilise and integrate into the Congolese army.

The rebels’ Commander Sultani Makenge and about 1,600 M23 fighters crossed into Uganda from the DRC last week.

‘‘These ex-combatants say that they feel insecure by a process of disarmament, demobilization and reintegration under the supervision of the same forces that fought them while refusing any proposal to cease fire for more than a year,’’ said the M23 Chairman, Bertrand Bisiwa in a letter he wrote to Museveni on Thursday last week.

The rebels wrote to President Museveni in his capacity as the mediator of the peace talks between them and the DRC government.

‘‘We remain hopeful that the concerns of these ex-combatants will find a response that can ensure the smooth process of disarmament, demobilization and social reintegration which they wish to submit themselves,’’ Bisiwa said in his letter.

Makenge is wanted by the DRC government for war crimes but Uganda has said it will not hand over the rebel commander as that will be determined by the outcome of a peace deal that the rebels and the DRC government are expected to sign.

Last week leaders from the Great Lakes and their Southern African counterparts called on the rebels to sign a peace agreement with the DRC government.

The rebels and the DRC government were negotiating in the Ugandan capital Kampala before the talks collapsed and resulted into the renewed conflict in eastern Congo.

With the rebels defeated, the DRC government has been bullish and even reluctant to sign a peace deal saying the rebel group no longer existed since it had dissolved itself.

A United Nations group of experts and the DRC government accused Rwanda and Uganda of supporting the rebels something analysts say has made the Congo government suspicious of the Kampala peace talks under Museveni’s mediation. Uganda and Rwanda have denied the accusations.

(ST)

Comments on the Sudan Tribune website must abide by the following rules. Contravention of these rules will lead to the user losing their Sudan Tribune account with immediate effect.

- No inciting violence
- No inappropriate or offensive language
- No racism, tribalism or sectarianism
- No inappropriate or derogatory remarks
- No deviation from the topic of the article
- No advertising, spamming or links
- No incomprehensible comments

Due to the unprecedented amount of racist and offensive language on the site, Sudan Tribune tries to vet all comments on the site.

There is now also a limit of 400 words per comment. If you want to express yourself in more detail than this allows, please e-mail your comment as an article to comment@sudantribune.com

Kind regards,

The Sudan Tribune editorial team.

Comment on this article



The following ads are provided by Google. SudanTribune has no authority on it.



Sudan Tribune

Promote your Page too

Latest Comments & Analysis


False escape of Peter Biar Ajak from South Sudan to America 2020-08-07 15:58:45 By Steve Paterno In a dramatic fashion, Peter Biar Ajak, a South Sudanese political dissident, wrote an opinion article in World Street Journal (WSJ), published on July 23, 2020, the same day he (...)

How we can construct a shared vision for South Sudan’s future? 2020-08-01 09:21:58 David Nyuol Vincent To craft a shared vision for the future of South Sudan is difficult but not impossible. To surpass the perilous situation in which we are in now, we need to learn to (...)

Establish capable security force in Darfur 2020-08-01 07:43:40 By Mahmoud A. Suleiman The Darfur region is destined to continue bleeding. Those who believe in that openly say whether Omer Al-Bashir is still in the rule of Sudan or deposed, the region of (...)


MORE






Latest Press Releases


S. Korea supports UN communities building resilience project in Sudan’s Blue Nile 2019-09-09 09:26:41 UNDP Sudan September 5, 2019 (KHARTOUM) - An agreement was signed on 5th of September between the Korean Ambassador, His Excellency. Lee Ki-Seong and Dr. Selva Ramachandran, Resident (...)

Sudanese lawyers and Human rights defenders back calls for civil rule 2019-04-26 10:22:06 Press statement by 55 Sudanese lawyers and Human rights defenders on Sudan Sit-in and Peaceful Protest Khartoum -24/04/2019 We, the undersigned (55) Sudanese lawyers and human rights defenders, (...)

South Sudan’s Lafon youth condemn killings of civilians by Pari community 2019-04-03 21:54:29 Press Statement on the Fighting between Pari/ Pacidi and Lotuko/Lokiri on 24/3/2019 Release by The Lafon County Youth Union: We, the Lafon County Youth Union hereby condemn the atrocities and (...)


MORE

Copyright © 2003-2020 SudanTribune - All rights reserved.