Home | News    Tuesday 16 December 2014

HRW calls for investigation into Blue Nile rape claims

separation
increase
decrease
separation
separation

December 15, 2014 (KHARTOUM) – Human Rights Watch (HRW) has reported claims of war crimes and rape by Sudanese government army and allied militias in the troubled Blue Nile state and called for an international investigation.

Refugees from Blue Nile state arrive at the Yusuf Batil refugee camp in South Sudan’s Upper Nile state on 22 June 2012. The site is currently home to almost 40,000 refugees (Photo: Giulio Petrocco/AFP/Getty Images)

Sudanese refugees in South Sudan and IDPs told the international rights group they had been raped by the Sudanese government troops who detained and beat them giving for the first time patterns of sexual violence committed in this region since the start of hostilities between the government and SPLM-N rebels in September 2011.

“The United Nations Security Council should immediately establish an international commission of inquiry and impose an arms embargo against the Sudanese government and individual sanctions against human rights violators from all parties. The African Union should support these steps or establish an inquiry of its own,” Human Rights Watch said in a statement released on Monday.

“The Security Council should wake up to the tragedy unfolding in South Kordofan and Blue Nile, verify the facts, and impose both an arms embargo on the government and targeted sanctions on individuals responsible for the abuses,” said Philippe Bolopion, United Nations director at Human Rights Watch.

HRW said they interviewed 42 Sudanese refugees in the neighbouring Upper Nile state’s Maban county in South Sudan and six internally displaced people inside Blue Nile state.

About half of the refugees said they had experienced sexual violence themselves, have an immediate family member or neighbour who had, or had witnessed sexual assaults committed during home raids or house-to-house searches by security forces, the organisation said.

Five women said they were raped by members of security forces or militiamen, and twelve said relatives had been raped. Other women said they were detained first and then were taken away and raped.

A woman called Hawa, 20, said she was subjected to a collective rape following her arrest at a market in the small town of Musfa earlier in 2014.

“They raped me one after the other and they beat me,” said Hawa, adding, “I tried to resist and they pulled me to the ground and [when they were finished] they left me.”. She was taken to Damazin hospital where she remained for 10 days.

HRW said most of the reported incidents took place within the past year. The victims said most of the rape crimes were committed last year by the Rapid Support Force (RSF) militia, and army members.

Sudanese government strongly rejected last month similar accusations of mass rape in North Darfur and slammed the joint peacekeeping mission for raising the claims.

(ST)

Comments on the Sudan Tribune website must abide by the following rules. Contravention of these rules will lead to the user losing their Sudan Tribune account with immediate effect.

- No inciting violence
- No inappropriate or offensive language
- No racism, tribalism or sectarianism
- No inappropriate or derogatory remarks
- No deviation from the topic of the article
- No advertising, spamming or links
- No incomprehensible comments

Due to the unprecedented amount of racist and offensive language on the site, Sudan Tribune tries to vet all comments on the site.

There is now also a limit of 400 words per comment. If you want to express yourself in more detail than this allows, please e-mail your comment as an article to comment@sudantribune.com

Kind regards,

The Sudan Tribune editorial team.


The following ads are provided by Google. SudanTribune has no authority on it.



Sudan Tribune

Promote your Page too

Latest Comments & Analysis


Why Sudan’s interests lie in U.S. delisting and normalization with Israel 2020-10-22 06:08:56 By: Trayo A. Ali How will the de-linking of the American process for removing Sudan from the State Sponsor of Terror (SST) list from its process of normalizing relations with Israel diminish (...)

No to calls for anti-peace protests 2020-10-22 06:07:08 By Mahmoud A. Suleiman Some traditional Sudanese political parties have grown old and are crying out to demand that the Sudanese people go out on October 21, 2020, in a major demonstration to (...)

The 21 October March: Who is the Enemy? 2020-10-21 05:52:11 By Yasir Arman One of the main features of the December revolution is its vitality and the broad participation of women and youth, resistance committees, martyrs' families, forces from the (...)


MORE






Latest Press Releases


Sudan: Performing arts is not a crime, assaulting women and artists is! 2020-09-20 08:54:28 The Strategic Initiative for Women in the Horn of Africa (SIHA) Sudan is still struggling with militant Islamist ideology KHARTOUM: Central Khartoum Primary Court issued a verdict against five (...)

Civil Society Statement in Response to The Law of Various Amendments 2020-08-14 07:11:00 A Collaborative Civil Society Statement in Response to The Law of Various Amendments (Abolishing and Amending Provisions Restricting Freedom) – Exposing ‘a wolf in sheep’s clothing’ Sudanese women (...)

Remarks by SRF leaders at the Friend of Sudan meeting on peace 2020-08-13 07:58:58 Chairman of the Friends of Sudan Conference, Your Excellency, Minister of Foreign Affairs of the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia, The Prime Minister of Sudan and the participating team from the (...)


MORE

Copyright © 2003-2020 SudanTribune - All rights reserved.