Home | News    Friday 11 September 2015

S. Sudanese army, rebels clash in Central Equatorial state

separation
increase
decrease
separation
separation

September 10, 2015 (KAMPALA) – Fresh clashes erupted on Thursday between the South Sudanese army and the armed opposition forces, barely a month after the two rival factions signed a peace accord.

JPEG - 55.3 kb
Soldiers from the South Sudanese army (SPLA) jump off the back of a truck while on patrol in the capital, Juba, following the December 2013 outbreak of violence (Photo: Reuters)

The overall commander of the armed opposition faction in South Sudan’s Central Equatoria state, Major Gen. John Kenyi said pro-government forces attacked their bases west of Central Equatoria.

He said the attacks occurred at 8:00am and further accused forces loyal to President Salva Kiir of violating the agreed ceasefire.

“This is the usual character of South Sudan government to attacks us everywhere in all of our fronts in the country. This shows they are not serious on terms and conditions of the signed peace compromise,” Kenyi told Sudan Tribune over satellite link.

He accused pro-government forces of attempting to regain more of their territories, but claimed they were repulsed with heavy losses.

“Today pro-government attacked our bases in Mangkaro, Mengel and Kotigiri in Central Equatoria. This is an indication that some insider within Kiir’s government does not respect his order to observe the ceasefire after signing the deal on August 26,” he added.

The rebels, Kenyi said, captured a pro-government army vehicle in good condition, killed 11 soldiers while seven were allegedly injured.

“These pro-governments were repulsed with heavy losses in their attempt to take our territories, they thought of defeating us, but this was wrong calculation from the government,” said Kenyi.

He added, “Our armies are more trained than the Mathianganyoor”.

The senior rebel commander further warned government forces against continued attacks, saying they would be forced to retaliate.

Both warring factions have traded accusations of hostilities despite declaring a permanent ceasefire after they signed a peace deal.

Last week, the United States warned of the serious consequences of violating the peace accord president Kiir and the armed opposition leader, Riek Machar signed in the presence of regional mediators.

(ST)

Comments on the Sudan Tribune website must abide by the following rules. Contravention of these rules will lead to the user losing their Sudan Tribune account with immediate effect.

- No inciting violence
- No inappropriate or offensive language
- No racism, tribalism or sectarianism
- No inappropriate or derogatory remarks
- No deviation from the topic of the article
- No advertising, spamming or links
- No incomprehensible comments

Due to the unprecedented amount of racist and offensive language on the site, Sudan Tribune tries to vet all comments on the site.

There is now also a limit of 400 words per comment. If you want to express yourself in more detail than this allows, please e-mail your comment as an article to comment@sudantribune.com

Kind regards,

The Sudan Tribune editorial team.
  • 11 September 2015 04:14, by Hardlinner

    What territories is kenyi talking about?. He hasn’t got territories to begin with. His lies clearly indicate who was responsible for violation of cease fire. Riek as simple proven that he can not control his militias.

    repondre message

    • 11 September 2015 05:14, by Shadrack Nuer Machut

      Even gun road robbers claim having territories! What a shame! One day this nation will teach unforgettable lesson to rampant insurgents. It’s b’se Kiir’s govt rewards & pardons, murderers, thieves, insurgents & enemies of peace & his govt, there would have been no nonsense manhood show due boosted by looted public money.

      repondre message

      • 11 September 2015 06:26, by Lotodo Awino Odug

        Peace had been signed!! therefore play safe to safe lives, any deaths after peace will all be in vain from whichever side.Kirr and Machar positions are secured, so what else are you fighting for? Dinkas were/are defending their top seat, now that Nuer are not asking the president to resign, then let stop the war and let prepare for the next chapter.

        repondre message

        • 11 September 2015 06:44, by Eastern

          Lotodo,

          I like your composure today......

          repondre message

Comment on this article



The following ads are provided by Google. SudanTribune has no authority on it.



Sudan Tribune

Promote your Page too

Latest Comments & Analysis


South Sudan: Revert strictly to 10 states 2020-02-16 15:56:54 By James Gatdet Dak Lampuar By unilaterally creating administrative areas---when the action is supposed to strictly revert the country to the constitutional 10 states----South Sudan's Presidency (...)

Does Kiir deserve our thanks for abolishing 32 states? 2020-02-16 11:44:03 By Duop Chak Wuol In October 2015, President Salva Kiir issued a decree, expanding the original ten states to 28. In January 2017, Kiir issued another presidential order creating an additional (...)

How hope for peace in South Sudan turned into despair 2020-02-13 04:41:14 By Luke Geng Geng, Kuajok While the ongoing peace talk in Addis Ababa (Ethiopia) seems to be flattering again with no signs of positive progress as it is already heading to no direction in like (...)


MORE






Latest Press Releases


S. Korea supports UN communities building resilience project in Sudan’s Blue Nile 2019-09-09 09:26:41 UNDP Sudan September 5, 2019 (KHARTOUM) - An agreement was signed on 5th of September between the Korean Ambassador, His Excellency. Lee Ki-Seong and Dr. Selva Ramachandran, Resident (...)

Sudanese lawyers and Human rights defenders back calls for civil rule 2019-04-26 10:22:06 Press statement by 55 Sudanese lawyers and Human rights defenders on Sudan Sit-in and Peaceful Protest Khartoum -24/04/2019 We, the undersigned (55) Sudanese lawyers and human rights defenders, (...)

South Sudan’s Lafon youth condemn killings of civilians by Pari community 2019-04-03 21:54:29 Press Statement on the Fighting between Pari/ Pacidi and Lotuko/Lokiri on 24/3/2019 Release by The Lafon County Youth Union: We, the Lafon County Youth Union hereby condemn the atrocities and (...)


MORE

Copyright © 2003-2020 SudanTribune - All rights reserved.