Home | News    Wednesday 7 October 2015

South Sudan opposition fighters accuse government forces of fresh attacks

separation
increase
decrease
separation
separation

October 6, 2015 (ADDIS ABABA) – Government forces loyal to South Sudanese president Salva Kiir have been accused of 00carrying out fresh air and ground attacks on civilians suspected to be loyal to the former vice president, Riek Machar, in violation of the ceasefire agreement signed in August.

South Sudanese SPLA soldiers in Pageri in Eastern Equatoria state on August 20, 2015 (Photo AFP/Samir Bol)

In a statement issued on Tuesday, military spokesman of the armed opposition faction of the Sudan People’s Liberation Army (SPLA-IO, said government forces attacked civilians in Mundri county of Western Equatoria state, west of the national capital, Juba.

“It was at 9:00 AM, yesterday [Monday] when government troop launched an aerial bombardment on civilian at Munduri County in Western Equatoria state. In the same day, they send military convoy from Juba to Munduri where they overnight at Jumbo and they began to shell on civilians, burned down the villages around Jumbo Payam,” said Colonel William Gatjiath Deng.

He said this was another violation which showed that the government was aiming to make difficult the implementation of the peace agreement.

“We must always turn face to IGAD plus, AU and International Community to send down verification team to check that uncontrollable violations always made by the government,” he said.

The two rival forces have been trading accusations even from the day president Kiir signed the peace deal in Juba on 26 August. Fighting last week also resumed in Unity state over the control of Leer and Koch counties. The two parties accused each other of initiating the clashes.

The parties are yet to agree on ceasefire implementation and security arrangements at a workshop in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia, which brings together senior military commanders from the parties to the agreement.

Tens of thousands of people have died and millions more displaced internally and to the neighbouring countries of Sudan, Ethiopia, Kenya and Uganda since the break out of war in December 2013.

(ST)

Comments on the Sudan Tribune website must abide by the following rules. Contravention of these rules will lead to the user losing their Sudan Tribune account with immediate effect.

- No inciting violence
- No inappropriate or offensive language
- No racism, tribalism or sectarianism
- No inappropriate or derogatory remarks
- No deviation from the topic of the article
- No advertising, spamming or links
- No incomprehensible comments

Due to the unprecedented amount of racist and offensive language on the site, Sudan Tribune tries to vet all comments on the site.

There is now also a limit of 400 words per comment. If you want to express yourself in more detail than this allows, please e-mail your comment as an article to comment@sudantribune.com

Kind regards,

The Sudan Tribune editorial team.
  • 7 October 2015 04:18, by Shadrack Nuer Machut

    God is only left the supereme judge in the case of S. Sudan. EU is just a foreign union like Africa union. When & where did AU issue a condemning statement to the one of European Union countries which were & are origin of humanitarian crisis? I blame my leaders.



The following ads are provided by Google. SudanTribune has no authority on it.



Sudan Tribune

Promote your Page too

Latest Comments & Analysis


Obituary: Ahmed Ibrahim Dreij 2020-09-28 11:36:14 Ahmed Ibrahim Dreij is an Open History Book for Readers, Whether He Was Alive or Deceased in the Grace of God by Mahmoud A. Suleiman Dear noble reader, this article comes out of the habit, (...)

BlindsSelf-confidence and preparedness against Disasters in Sudan 2020-09-21 11:46:04 Why things are only getting worse and the papers are filled with stories of gloom and doom in Sudan? By Mahmoud A. Suleiman The answer to the previous questions needs to know the reasons first, (...)

South Sudan: On Right of Access to Information and Media 2020-09-19 15:01:51 By Roger Alfred Yoron Modi South Sudan’s Right of Access to Information Act, 2013, in Section 35, enshrines the following: 1- The Minister (Minister responsible for Information and Broadcasting) (...)


MORE






Latest Press Releases


Sudan: Performing arts is not a crime, assaulting women and artists is! 2020-09-20 08:54:28 The Strategic Initiative for Women in the Horn of Africa (SIHA) Sudan is still struggling with militant Islamist ideology KHARTOUM: Central Khartoum Primary Court issued a verdict against five (...)

Civil Society Statement in Response to The Law of Various Amendments 2020-08-14 07:11:00 A Collaborative Civil Society Statement in Response to The Law of Various Amendments (Abolishing and Amending Provisions Restricting Freedom) – Exposing ‘a wolf in sheep’s clothing’ Sudanese women (...)

Remarks by SRF leaders at the Friend of Sudan meeting on peace 2020-08-13 07:58:58 Chairman of the Friends of Sudan Conference, Your Excellency, Minister of Foreign Affairs of the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia, The Prime Minister of Sudan and the participating team from the (...)


MORE

Copyright © 2003-2020 SudanTribune - All rights reserved.