Home | News    Tuesday 17 November 2015

Sudanese government and rebel groups to meet Wednesday: AU

separation
increase
decrease
separation
separation

November 16, 2015 (KHARTOUM) - The African Union (AU) said that Khartoum and the rebel movements have officially approved to participate in talks on security arrangements in the states of Blue Nile, South Kordofan and Darfur region in Addis Ababa on Wednesday.

JPEG - 35.4 kb
AUHIP head Thabo Mbeki chairs a meeting with of the government (R) and rebel delegations on 30 November 2014 (Courtesy photo/ AUHIP)

The head of the AU Liaison Office in Sudan, Mahmoud Kane, told the pro-government Sudan Media Center (SMC) that the Sudanese government and the rebel movements are ready to resume the talks on Wednesday, stressing that all negotiating teams will arrive in Addis Ababa on Tuesday.

He said that Khartoum informed the AU that its negotiating team for the Darfur issue would be headed by the Darfur peace implementation follow-up office state minister, Amin Hassan Omer, while the presidential aide Ibrahim Mahmoud Hamid will lead the delegation for the talks on the Two Areas.

Kane also pointed that all Darfur movements and the Sudan People’s Liberation Movement/North (SPLM-M) have named their negotiating teams except the Sudan Liberation Movement (SLM-AW) led by Abdel-Wahid al-Nur.

The SLM-AW which refuses to participate in any negotiations with the government since Abuja peace process, says Khartoum provide security to civilians by disarming its militias and expel new comers from the land of IDPs before to negotiate a peace agreement of the root cause of the conflict.

In the same context, the secretary general of the Popular Congress Party (PCP) and member of the dialogue body known as 7+7 Kamal Omer said the presidential aide Ibrahim Mahmoud will travel to Addis Ababa on Tuesday, saying he is expected to discuss with the rebel leaders Thursday the necessary guarantees for their participation in the ongoing dialogue conference in Khartoum.

Omer told Sudan Tribune that he will also leave for Addis Ababa to convince Darfur rebels to participate in the dialogue conference, saying the PCP would seek to capitalize on its good ties with Darfur movements.

He stressed that the chairman of the Reform Now Movement (RNM) Ghazi al-Attabani won’t participate in the dialogue preparatory meeting because he is no longer member of the 7+7 mechanism following his party’s withdrawal from the dialogue process.

For his part, the government spokesperson Ahmed Bilal Osman said the agenda of the talks with the SPLM-N on the Two Areas would revolve around the cessation of hostilities while negotiations on Darfur will based upon the Doha Document for Peace in Darfur (DDPD).

He pointed that a dialogue preparatory meeting including the government, rebel umbrella Sudan Revolutionary Forces (SRF) and the National Umma Party (NUP) would be held subsequently if the government and the rebels reached an agreement on the cessation of hostilities.

Osman said the mini preparatory meeting will be based upon the roadmap approved by the 7+7 committee and the Addis Ababa agreement.

The SRF and the NUP from one side and 7+7 committee from the other side on 5 September 2014 signed an agreement on identical term with the AU High Implementation Panel (AUHIP) “on the national dialogue and constitutional process”.

Last October, the AU announced that a mini-pre-dialogue meeting will be held with the participation of the SRF and the NUP following the security talks on the Two Areas and Darfur , disclosing the Sudanese government agreed to take part in the meeting.

Khartoum had previously refused to participate in a comprehensive preparatory meeting including the political opposition and civil society groups. Only it reiterated its readiness to meet the rebels to discuss the conditions and guarantees related to their participation in the internal process.

However, the Sudanese president Omer al-Bashir last October instructed the 7+7 committee to meet with the signatories of Addis Ababa agreement.

REBEL LEADERS TO JOIN DIALOGUE CONFERENCE

Meanwhile, the 7+7 committee has disclosed that some rebel leaders will join the dialogue conference during the coming few days.

7+7 committee member from the opposition side Omran Yahia Omran told reporters Monday that the dialogue conference would reveal much of its outcome next week, saying the committee is delighted that some rebel groups are closely following the conference and seeking to participate in it.

“The ongoing conference is a Sudanese/Sudanese dialogue and it doesn’t need international monitoring or guardianship of any party,” he said.

He added the national constitutional dialogue which was demanded by the opposition “Sudan Call” forces in its recent meeting in Paris could be held within the dialogue conference in Khartoum.

Omran said the dialogue conference is going on as planned, pointing the 7+7 committee held three meetings since October 10th to assess the dialogue process and challenges facing it.

He said the 7+7 committee has urged that holdout opposition to participate in the dialogue conference.

MEETING THE EU

In another context, information minister Ahmed Bilal Osman has briefed the European Union (EU) ambassador to Khartoum, Thomas Ulicny, on the dialogue process and the upcoming talks with the rebel movements in Addis Ababa.

Ulicny said in press statement following the meeting that the EU would support the talks between the government and the rebel groups.

He expressed appreciation for Sudan’s stance towards the recent terrorist attacks in Paris.

(ST)

Comments on the Sudan Tribune website must abide by the following rules. Contravention of these rules will lead to the user losing their Sudan Tribune account with immediate effect.

- No inciting violence
- No inappropriate or offensive language
- No racism, tribalism or sectarianism
- No inappropriate or derogatory remarks
- No deviation from the topic of the article
- No advertising, spamming or links
- No incomprehensible comments

Due to the unprecedented amount of racist and offensive language on the site, Sudan Tribune tries to vet all comments on the site.

There is now also a limit of 400 words per comment. If you want to express yourself in more detail than this allows, please e-mail your comment as an article to comment@sudantribune.com

Kind regards,

The Sudan Tribune editorial team.
  • 17 November 2015 08:12, by Kalo

    The early statement indicated that there won,t be any progress,the only solution,AU and IGAD to apply the same scenarios of S.Sudan,design the peace and force them to sign and i know,alBashir will start dancing with war,Sudanese themselves will never solve their own problem.
    Son of Nuba.

    repondre message

Comment on this article



The following ads are provided by Google. SudanTribune has no authority on it.



Sudan Tribune

Promote your Page too

Latest Comments & Analysis


Darfur ethnic attacks must be fully addressed 2021-05-06 04:16:34 Ahmed Elzobier A series of blunders have contributed to the tragic situation in Sudan’s West Darfur region and continue to expose civilians to violence, notably among them the premature (...)

Give credit they deserve 2021-04-30 21:13:25 Ngor Arol Garang While the visit of the government delegation to Chad had triggered debates and depictions in social media reflective of a comic dramatic work using buffoonery and horseplay and (...)

South Sudan elections must be held on time 2021-04-18 07:30:37 The Government is bent on postponing the elections: a response to the statement of the Ministry of Presidential Affairs dated 14 April 2021. By Lam Akol The Press Secretary of the President of (...)


MORE






Latest Press Releases


S. Korea supports UN communities building resilience project in Sudan’s Blue Nile 2019-09-09 09:26:41 UNDP Sudan September 5, 2019 (KHARTOUM) - An agreement was signed on 5th of September between the Korean Ambassador, His Excellency. Lee Ki-Seong and Dr. Selva Ramachandran, Resident (...)

Sudanese lawyers and Human rights defenders back calls for civil rule 2019-04-26 10:22:06 Press statement by 55 Sudanese lawyers and Human rights defenders on Sudan Sit-in and Peaceful Protest Khartoum -24/04/2019 We, the undersigned (55) Sudanese lawyers and human rights defenders, (...)

South Sudan’s Lafon youth condemn killings of civilians by Pari community 2019-04-03 21:54:29 Press Statement on the Fighting between Pari/ Pacidi and Lotuko/Lokiri on 24/3/2019 Release by The Lafon County Youth Union: We, the Lafon County Youth Union hereby condemn the atrocities and (...)


MORE

Copyright © 2003-2021 SudanTribune - All rights reserved.