Home | News    Tuesday 12 July 2016

S. Sudan says regrets death of UN peacekeepers: official

separation
increase
decrease
separation
separation

July 11, 2016 (JUBA)- The South Sudanese government said it regretted the occurrence of the weekend clashes in which members of the United Nations peacekeeping forces were killed as they tried to protect civilians fleeing the violent clashes between rival forces.

JPEG - 34.4 kb
UN peacekeepers in South Sudan with one of their helicopters (UNMISS)

"We are still waiting for the details. The president has already formed a committee to investigate the cause of this unfortunate developments", cabinet affairs minister, Martin Lomuro said Monday.

"It is unfortunate that some lives have been lost. For the United Nations, there was no intention. They were not targeted", he added.

Two UN peacekeepers from China died during the attack, the defence ministry said Monday.

Five others were wounded, with two in a serious condition. One of the peacekeepers was killed at the scene and another died in hospital, China’s state television reported.

The defence ministry said an armoured vehicle was hit by a shell at about 6.39pm local time on Sunday when it was guarding a refugee camp near the UN compound in Juba.

“The Chinese army is deeply shocked and strongly condemns the attack,” the defence ministry said, adding “We are deeply saddened by the loss of life. We offer our condolences and sincere sympathy to the families of the dead and wounded.”

The incident comes a month after a Chinese UN peacekeeper was killed and four others wounded in an attack in northern Mali, according to the Chinese defense ministry.

Some 3,100 Chinese peacekeepers are serving in 10 regions around the world, including 2,400 in Africa as engineers, transport experts, police and medical staff.

Two Rwandan peacekeepers were also injured in the attack, eyewitnesses told Sudan Tribune, with some sources saying the peacekeepers were hit by bullets as they tried to protect civilians fleeing clashes to the UN camp in Jebel, a Juba suburb.

"I saw one wounded Chinese soldier and two Rwandan soldiers. I don’t know how they were wounded. What I know is that Rwandan soldiers are the ones who provide protection to civilians coming into the UN compound. They are involved in receiving civilians from the gate and escorting them to a designated place for them", a UN staff member, who preferred anonymity, said on Monday.

The latest armed confrontation between South Sudan’s main rival forces started on Friday in Juba and continued over the weekend until late Monday when a ceasefire was declared.

Heavy gunfire, involving the use of mortars, rocket-propelled grenades and heavy ground assault, rocked Juba. Military jet fighters aided by tanks and infantry, were also used. Aid workers said a UN camp housing around 28,000 people previously uprooted by the war was caught in the crossfire, wounding score of civilians.

A senior military intelligence officer, identified as Col. Deng Lual, was reportedly killed in clashes between rival forces. Over 200 people, officials said, died in these clashes.

(ST)

Comments on the Sudan Tribune website must abide by the following rules. Contravention of these rules will lead to the user losing their Sudan Tribune account with immediate effect.

- No inciting violence
- No inappropriate or offensive language
- No racism, tribalism or sectarianism
- No inappropriate or derogatory remarks
- No deviation from the topic of the article
- No advertising, spamming or links
- No incomprehensible comments

Due to the unprecedented amount of racist and offensive language on the site, Sudan Tribune tries to vet all comments on the site.

There is now also a limit of 400 words per comment. If you want to express yourself in more detail than this allows, please e-mail your comment as an article to comment@sudantribune.com

Kind regards,

The Sudan Tribune editorial team.

Comment on this article



The following ads are provided by Google. SudanTribune has no authority on it.



Sudan Tribune

Promote your Page too

Latest Comments & Analysis


Nuer girls courtship: Was there guided freedom of girls? 2020-01-24 06:28:01 By James Gatdet Dak January 23, 2020 --- First, please excuse my social or cultural story on previous freedom of Nuer girls, in case it doesn't prescribe to your lifestyle! I hope some young (...)

A renewed call on states of South Sudan 2020-01-21 07:06:29 By James Gatdet Dak First of all, I hope that our able leaders (peace partners) shall politically resolve the number and boundaries of states in the Republic of South Sudan. Or whoever is to (...)

Sudan’s Peace: putting the cart before the Horse 2020-01-12 18:35:24 Putting Peace in the rear after the Sudanese Revolution is Akin to putting the cart before the Horse By Mahmoud A. Suleiman This article comes against the backdrop of the indifference and the (...)


MORE






Latest Press Releases


S. Korea supports UN communities building resilience project in Sudan’s Blue Nile 2019-09-09 09:26:41 UNDP Sudan September 5, 2019 (KHARTOUM) - An agreement was signed on 5th of September between the Korean Ambassador, His Excellency. Lee Ki-Seong and Dr. Selva Ramachandran, Resident (...)

Sudanese lawyers and Human rights defenders back calls for civil rule 2019-04-26 10:22:06 Press statement by 55 Sudanese lawyers and Human rights defenders on Sudan Sit-in and Peaceful Protest Khartoum -24/04/2019 We, the undersigned (55) Sudanese lawyers and human rights defenders, (...)

South Sudan’s Lafon youth condemn killings of civilians by Pari community 2019-04-03 21:54:29 Press Statement on the Fighting between Pari/ Pacidi and Lotuko/Lokiri on 24/3/2019 Release by The Lafon County Youth Union: We, the Lafon County Youth Union hereby condemn the atrocities and (...)


MORE

Copyright © 2003-2020 SudanTribune - All rights reserved.