Home | News    Tuesday 23 August 2016

Over 100 soldiers killed in South Sudan’s Jonglei state

separation
increase
decrease
separation
separation

August 22, 2016 (JUBA) – More than 100 soldiers on both sides of South Sudanese rival armies have been killed over the weekend following renewed fighting in Jonglei state, local officials said.

Jonglei state governor, Phillip Aguer speaks during the independence occassion July 9, 2016 (ST)

Jonglei State Governor, Philip Aguer Panyang, said suspected SPLA in Opposition (SPLA-IO) forces of White Army on Saturday attacked Pajut, headquarters of an administrative unit in Duk county at dawn but were repulsed.

“The Sudan People’s Liberation Army in opposition [SPLA-IO] lost 101 white army soldiers along the trenches and many bodies [are] still being collected in the bushes where the SPLA had flanked them after they sneaked into Pajut military fence,” said Aguer, a former spokesman of SPLA before being appointed a governor in December 2015.

SPLA Spokesman, Brig. Gen. Lul Ruai Koang, confirmed the attack on Pajut on Saturday evening but declined to provide details.

Pajut is main SPLA barrack bordering Uror county, a stronghold of the armed SPLM-IO under the leadership of former First Vice President, Riek Machar. This is the first fighting reported in the area since the peace agreement was signed in August last year between the armies loyal to President Salva Kiir and former First Vice President, Machar.

The fighting erupted six weeks after the violence occurred in the capital, Juba, on 8 July between forces loyal to President Kiir and those loyal to First Vice President, Machar.

Aguer said 20 government soldiers were also killed over the weekend in the fighting which took place in the north-eastern county of Jonglei state.

(ST)

Comments on the Sudan Tribune website must abide by the following rules. Contravention of these rules will lead to the user losing their Sudan Tribune account with immediate effect.

- No inciting violence
- No inappropriate or offensive language
- No racism, tribalism or sectarianism
- No inappropriate or derogatory remarks
- No deviation from the topic of the article
- No advertising, spamming or links
- No incomprehensible comments

Due to the unprecedented amount of racist and offensive language on the site, Sudan Tribune tries to vet all comments on the site.

There is now also a limit of 400 words per comment. If you want to express yourself in more detail than this allows, please e-mail your comment as an article to comment@sudantribune.com

Kind regards,

The Sudan Tribune editorial team.
  • 23 August 2016 00:45, by Marco A. Wek

    It is so sad to hear bad news from time to time. Is this the type of South Sudan we wanted for over fifty years? Did depart from the North to come to finish off ourselves? We need to stop this madness before we finish off ourselves.

  • 23 August 2016 19:03, by Thokidine

    Lies after lies will never alleviate the current status of the Govt. the fact is, Govt is losing in all fronts, "diplomacy and battle fields" much as it is losing on economic front. Having new illegal FVP or being received in red carpet doesn’t prove gaining diplomatic ties. U can beg and beg a million times but nothing will help u out in this mess u ve created except that Riek come as president.



The following ads are provided by Google. SudanTribune has no authority on it.



Sudan Tribune

Promote your Page too

Latest Comments & Analysis


Is the Juba Peace Agreement a Turning Point for Sudan? 2020-09-15 18:48:43 By Dame Rosalind Marsden Sudan is looking towards a brighter future after the initialling of the Juba peace agreement on August 31, an important first step towards bringing peace to the conflict (...)

South Sudan’s R-ARCSS: Two years on 2020-09-15 12:45:54 By: Dr Lam Akol Two years ago this day the Revitalized Agreement on the Resolution of the Conflict in the Republic of South Sudan (R-ARCSS) was signed in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia. The war-weary (...)

President Kiir should respect Right of Access to Information Law 2020-09-14 10:05:53 By Roger Alfred Yoron Modi A little over a week ago, in two decrees announced on South Sudan Broadcasting Corporation (SSBC), President Salva Kiir, “relieved” Nikodemous Ajak Bior as “Commissioner (...)


MORE






Latest Press Releases


Civil Society Statement in Response to The Law of Various Amendments 2020-08-14 07:11:00 A Collaborative Civil Society Statement in Response to The Law of Various Amendments (Abolishing and Amending Provisions Restricting Freedom) – Exposing ‘a wolf in sheep’s clothing’ Sudanese women (...)

Remarks by SRF leaders at the Friend of Sudan meeting on peace 2020-08-13 07:58:58 Chairman of the Friends of Sudan Conference, Your Excellency, Minister of Foreign Affairs of the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia, The Prime Minister of Sudan and the participating team from the (...)

S. Korea supports UN communities building resilience project in Sudan’s Blue Nile 2019-09-09 09:26:41 UNDP Sudan September 5, 2019 (KHARTOUM) - An agreement was signed on 5th of September between the Korean Ambassador, His Excellency. Lee Ki-Seong and Dr. Selva Ramachandran, Resident (...)


MORE

Copyright © 2003-2020 SudanTribune - All rights reserved.