Home | News    Monday 2 November 2020

Malong calls for 10-state federal system in South Sudan


South Sudan's former army chief Paul Malong addresses the media after returning to the South Sudan's capital of Juba, on May 13, 2017 (Reuters photo)

November 1, 2020 (JUBA) - The South Sudan United Front of Paul Malong said called for a 10-state federal state in South Sudan to end the domination of the central government in Juba.

The armed group on Sunday released its political manifesto where it rejected the “kleptocratic minority regime system of patronage that fuelled rampant corruption”.

The manifesto endorsed the Social Democracy as its ideology, stressing that this “form of socialism is what our Pan-African Movement calls “African Socialism”.

Regarding the controversial issue of federalism, the group the famous slogan of the SPLM founder John Garang calling to take the towns to the villages.

“This can truly and only be done if we embrace federalism as a fundamental principle and enact it in our Constitution based on the 10 States as at the signing of the 2015 Agreement on Resolution of Conflict in South Sudan,” reads the political programme

The SSUF further said that the federal system will allow to clearly demarcate between the responsibilities of national and the state governments.

Also, the manifesto said 10% of the income generated from oil or other national resources should be allocated to the state where are located the production areas.

“10% of the revenue may go to the State that has the natural resource, while a formula is formulated on how to distribute the other 90% between the national government and the other states”.

Last September, the opposition alliance SSOMA said they suspended the SSUF of General Paul Malong saying he rejected their vision for a large federal state.

The Alliance calls for a large federal state saying it has been a popular demand.

“The Alliance shall work hard in attaining this noble idea as a bedrock of system of governance in South Sudan, based on the true division of power and wealth to local governments, with the view of fending off any prevailing notion of regional and ethnic disintegration of the nation,” said SSOMA in its charter.


Comments on the Sudan Tribune website must abide by the following rules. Contravention of these rules will lead to the user losing their Sudan Tribune account with immediate effect.

- No inciting violence
- No inappropriate or offensive language
- No racism, tribalism or sectarianism
- No inappropriate or derogatory remarks
- No deviation from the topic of the article
- No advertising, spamming or links
- No incomprehensible comments

Due to the unprecedented amount of racist and offensive language on the site, Sudan Tribune tries to vet all comments on the site.

There is now also a limit of 400 words per comment. If you want to express yourself in more detail than this allows, please e-mail your comment as an article to comment@sudantribune.com

Kind regards,

The Sudan Tribune editorial team.

The following ads are provided by Google. SudanTribune has no authority on it.

Sudan Tribune

Promote your Page too

Latest Comments & Analysis

The 6th Celebration of Zero Discrimination Day: Ending Inequalities! 2021-03-01 18:04:51 By: Bol Khan The 1st of March is a Zero Discrimination Day. It's a Day that holds a celebration aiming to end discrimination and inequalities against all vulnerable and minority groups. In (...)

Horrific attacks on Darfur camps show need for UNAMID peacekeepers 2021-02-27 19:21:51 By Ahmed Elzobier The cycle of deadly violence in Darfur is still ongoing. It returned on 16 January 2021 with the horrific attacks on the Krinding camps in El Geneina, the capital of West (...)

Toward viable future for South Sudan 2021-02-23 06:27:19 A critique of ICG’s Africa Report No. 300, 10 February 2021 Dr Lam Akol The International Crisis Group (ICG) issued its Africa Report No.300 on 10 February 2021. The report attempts to address (...)


Latest Press Releases

Sudan: Performing arts is not a crime, assaulting women and artists is! 2020-09-20 08:54:28 The Strategic Initiative for Women in the Horn of Africa (SIHA) Sudan is still struggling with militant Islamist ideology KHARTOUM: Central Khartoum Primary Court issued a verdict against five (...)

Civil Society Statement in Response to The Law of Various Amendments 2020-08-14 07:11:00 A Collaborative Civil Society Statement in Response to The Law of Various Amendments (Abolishing and Amending Provisions Restricting Freedom) – Exposing ‘a wolf in sheep’s clothing’ Sudanese women (...)

Remarks by SRF leaders at the Friend of Sudan meeting on peace 2020-08-13 07:58:58 Chairman of the Friends of Sudan Conference, Your Excellency, Minister of Foreign Affairs of the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia, The Prime Minister of Sudan and the participating team from the (...)


Copyright © 2003-2021 SudanTribune - All rights reserved.