Home | News    Monday 12 December 2011

Athor’s S. Sudan rebels threaten to capture Jonglei’s capital

December 11, 2011 (JUBA) - George Athor Deng, leader of a South Sudanese rebel group, on Sunday threatened to capture Bor, the capital of Jonglei state if an agreement is not reached with the Sudan People Liberation Movement (SPLM) before the end of 2011.

George Athor, Nairobi, Kenya, November 20, 2011 (AP)

After the failure of secret talks with the South Sudan government in Nairobi last November, Athor already vowed more violence in the newly independent country saying Juba is not willing to reach peace.

The renegade general who rebelled after declared loser of gubernatorial elections in April 2010 asks to hold new general elections in the country, and to form an national interim government to organize these elections.

He also demands financial compensation for the families affected by the fight between his group and the national army and says foreign mediators are necessary to guarantee the implementation of any deal.

"All options are with the other party,” Athor told Sudan Tribune on Sunday. He also explained that the rebels “are committed to negotiating peaceful settlement of the conflict”.

"The whole South Sudan is fighting the government in Juba because corruption and crimes against humanity are increasing. People continue to disappear in Juba on daily basis without reason by the same people in power,” further said Athor.

He claimed his forces attacked a number of SPLA controlled towns within the vicinity of Bor on Sunday and that he has received reports indicating 41 SPLA soldiers were killed, four captured and several wounded.

On Sunday SPLA spokesperson, Phillip Aguer, confirmed to Sudan Tribune reports of fighting in Jonglei but said he did not know who was involved in the attack.

A statement released by the Atar community of Jonglei on Sunday also confirmed reports of fighting in Jonglei, claiming that Bumas, Wun-kiir Anyang, Ayol-yol (Wun-Mijak) and Patang were attacked, cattle stolen and a number of villages burnt. It also claimed fighting in Pachot, in the far west of Atar is ongoing.

The attack came after the rebel group last week called on the local population and the international humanitarian organisations to leave strategic areas in Jonglei.

The Atar community statement describes the “continuous butchering of the innocent civil population since the attempted massacre of the 16 November 2011,” by Athor’s forces in Atar.

The release also calls upon the UN Mission in South Sudan to investigate atrocities allegedly committed in the recent attacks by Athor’s forces, ”in which three civilians were shot dead in their tukuls [traditional homes] at midnight, two police men wounded and dozens of herds of cattle raided.”

(ST)