Home | News    Sunday 18 August 2013

Khartoum governor says 17,000 families affected by floods, Morocco to send aid

August 17, 2013 (KHARTOUM) – The governor of Khartoum state, Abdel-Rahman Al-Khidir, said on Saturday that an estimated 17.000 families have been affected by the heavy rains and floods which swept the state last week.

Sudanese volunteers prepare bags ahead of a distribution of goods donated by Qatar to help the population following the heavy rains and flash floods that hit the country on August 15, 2013 in the capital Khartoum (ASHRAF SHAZLY/AFP/Getty Images)

Al-Khidir, who was speaking at a press conference on Saturday, announced that his government would provide support which will suffice the affected families for 35 days.

He denied that his state suffers from food shortage, disclosing that a technical team was formed to conduct a study for protecting the state against future floods and disposing of rain water.

The governor added that the study would also look at relocating and moving all the affected villages to safe areas and providing them with integrated services including schools and hospitals, saying that the study will be completed and executed within 10 months.

Al-Khidir went on to say that the study aims to offer a scientific approach for land usage regarding the residential compounds which were built on the floodplain.

He announced that a support fund for the affected population has been created, saying that his government’s contribution to it amounted to 10 billion pound (SDG).

Al-Khidir added that aid distribution will be followed by setting up temporary schools and shelters for the affected, pointing that the final stage would involve maintenance of schools, hospitals, health centers as well as environmental sanitation and monitoring of water drainage.

The heavy rains and floods that hit different areas in Sudan recently have lead to the death of at least 60 people and injured dozens as well as destroying thousands of homes. Many ordinary citizens voiced rage over poor preparations by the government and inadequate response to the floods.

More than half the victims, 84 000, are in the area around the capital Khartoum, said the UN’s Office for the Co-ordination of Humanitarian Affairs (OCHA).

Drainage is poor in the capital of Sudan, where even a little rain can cause flooding, but this year’s water surge was unusually severe.

MOROCCAN KING ORDERS AID DISPATCHED TO SUDAN

The King of Morocco, Mohammed VI, has ordered government agencies to send aid to flood victims in Sudan.

The Moroccan Royal Court said in a statement that armed forces and Moroccan Agency for International Cooperation will coordinate this process.

The aid will include tents, medicine, rice, cooking oil, power generators and pumps, said the statement.

In UAE, the Emirates Red Crescent said it is preparing for the second phase of its relief operation in Sudan to help thousands of families left homeless by flooding.

According to ’Gulf Times’ the Emirates Red Crescent initiated its aid efforts for Sudan ten days ago, through the UAE Embassy in Khartoum. The UAE’s humanitarian programme has already sent a delegation to the flood-hit areas, and is procuring emergency aid including shelters and food from Sudan’s local markets.

(ST)