Home | News    Wednesday 24 September 2014

Sudan’s NCP warns against attempts to recreate September 2013 protests

September 23, 2014 (KHARTOUM) – The ruling National Congress Party (NCP) leading figure and deputy parliament speaker Samia Ahmed Mohammed warned against what she described as "an attempt to reproduce the protests of September [2013]" saying that it wreaked havoc and that there were specific reasons behind it.

JPEG - 29.2 kb
Family members and friends gather for the funeral of Salah Mudathir, 28, killed in clashes following protests in the Sudanese capital, Khartoum, in September 2013 (Photo: Ashraf Shazly/AFP/Getty Images)

Demonstrations broke out in several Sudanese states in September 2013 following the government’s decision to lift fuel subsidies. Rights groups said that at least 200 people were killed but the government put the death toll at 85.

The NCP official denied any knowledge of any arrests made against activists to preempt any move to organize similar demonstrations.

A number of precautionary arrests reportedly took place over the last two days against several political activists in Khartoum.

There were also reports that families of those who fell in the September 2013 protests received warnings from authorities against holding vigils to commemorate the victims.

The 2nd Vice President Hassabo Abdelrahman claimed on Monday night that a group under the name “Regime Change Front” is active in the capital but that security is aware of them.

He stressed that that there are certain circles that do not want peace and want to place obstacles in front of dialogue process.

Mohammed told reporters on Tuesday, that policemen are part of the Sudanese society and do not deliberately seek to harm citizens especially during gatherings and breaking riots.

"The deployment of police is usually for security and its existence should not politicized," she said.

Relatives of the victims, human rights organizations and opposition forces are calling for conducting a transparent investigation to uncover those involved in the killing of demonstrators.

The chairman of the National Consensus Forces (NCF) Farouk Abu Issa for his part told al-Maidan online newspaper that the coalition is on the same path for the state of the nation and citizenship and not for a party or group and noted that "the path of September is the course that people will take in order to achieve what they wishe".

He described the September 2013 protests as "a milestone" in the country’s history and the people’s struggle against the regime, underscoring his faith and confidence in the Sudanese people “who can achieve what they want”.

The spokesperson for the opposition Sudanese Communist Party (SCP) Yusuf Hussein said that "the memory of September sparked national crisis from its roots, and shook the regime, which caused cracks [within the regime]" which was evident in splits that occurred within the NCP.

"There is nothing left for the regime except excessive repression and use of live ammunition against unarmed citizens," he said and vowed not to stop the resistance movement.

"All the reasons that led to the September [protests] exist now," Hussein added.

The Baath Party leading figure Mohammed Diaa stressed the need for a transparent and fair investigation to uncover the culprits who were behind the killing of protesters in September of last year, and promised to work for the overthrow of the NCP regime and the establishment of a national democratic alternative.

"The dictatorial regime that kills its own people as happened in September uprising, and is happening every day in the war zones in Darfur, Nuba Mountains and Blue Nile is a regime that is not worth surviving," he added.

(ST)