Tuesday, August 18, 2026

Sudan Tribune

Plural news and views on Sudan

Sudan’s Burhan sets conditions for Tagadum, rejects return of Bashir’s party

Abdel Fattah al-Burhan meets with political and civil society leaders in Port Sudan, Feb 8, 2025.

Abdel Fattah al-Burhan meets with political and civil society leaders in Port Sudan, Feb 8, 2025.

February 8, 2025 (PORT SUDAN) – Sudan’s Sovereign Council Chairman Abdel Fattah al-Burhan on Saturday laid out conditions for peace with the Coordination of Civil Democratic Forces (Tagadum), demanding they renounce the Rapid Support Forces (RSF). He also rejected any return to power for the al-Bashir’s party, urging them to cease political manoeuvring.

Al-Burhan’s remarks, delivered to political, civil and armed group leaders, sparked controversy, particularly his call for the National Congress Party (NCP) to refrain from political bidding, given that some groups affiliated with the party are fighting alongside the army.

“The door remains open to everyone who has taken a patriotic stance, and everyone who returns is welcome after they renounce the aggressors,” al-Burhan said, referring to the RSF.

He said he had directed the Passports Department to facilitate the issuance of passports and identity documents for Tagadum leaders, saying, “These rights should open the door to return, and we are ready to issue a passport for anyone returning as long as they are Sudanese.”

Al-Burhan emphasized he did not want to antagonize anyone for their opinions. He acknowledged everyone’s right to criticize the regime but added they did not have the right to “infringe on the constants of the nation.”

Since the conflict erupted on April 15, 2023, activists and political leaders have complained about some embassies refusing to issue travel documents. This matter also affected members of communities seen as RSF strongholds.

Al-Burhan said classifying opponents as patriots or enemies of the homeland, the army, and the Sudanese people was a deliberate act. He called on those he termed “enemies” to “declare repentance and abandon their previous actions, and we will accept them.”

Tagadum has called for a ceasefire to alleviate the deteriorating humanitarian situation.

Addressing political tensions, particularly from the National Congress, al-Burhan said: “If you are patriots, stay away from political bidding now, and you will not find another opportunity to rule over the remains and blood of the Sudanese.”

He stressed that groups fighting with the army against the RSF were patriotic Sudanese individuals, not seeking personal gain from the fighting.

“The National Congress, if it desires to rule, should organize itself for elections and compete with the political forces, but at this stage, no organization will impose its presence,” he said.

He revealed that unnamed political forces were trying to co-opt some fighters. He added that the army had “warned the battalions against this, and anyone fighting under the banner of a partisan or regional institution, we say to him: Lay down your arms.”

Al-Burhan, referring to Islamic preacher Abdel-Hai Youssif, who attributed recent army advances to Islamic groups, said he sought to please God, not any individual.

Transitional government

Al-Burhan announced his intention to form a government, potentially called a war government or a caretaker government, to complete the transitional tasks and support the army in military operations to “cleanse Sudan of the RSF.”

He said the upcoming government would consist of “independent competencies,” though the prime minister could form advisory bodies.

He added that amendments had been made to the constitutional document, differentiating it from those signed with previous partners.

The army and the RSF, then the military component, signed the constitutional document with the Forces of Freedom and Change in 2019. This document served as the constitutional basis for the transitional period before the two forces’ leaders staged a coup in October 2021.

“After the constitutional document is approved, we will form a government and appoint a prime minister, and we will not interfere in his duties,” al-Burhan said.

No truce

The army commander said they had received calls for a Ramadan ceasefire to deliver relief to El Fasher, the capital of North Darfur State, but he had rejected the idea. “Man does not live on bread alone,” he said.

“You cannot besiege a person and then bring him food to fatten him like a sacrificial lamb, and after the end of the ceasefire, you go to slaughter him,” he added.

Al-Burhan said he would not accept a ceasefire while the RSF was besieging El Fasher and Babnusa in West Kordofan State.

He said a ceasefire required RSF forces to withdraw from Khartoum, West Kordofan and the Darfur states and gather in specific locations, adding they would not negotiate with the RSF while its members were still in civilian homes and besieging El Fasher and cutting off the road to El Geneina in West Darfur.

The RSF has been besieging El Fasher since April 2024, intensifying attacks on the city in recent months.