Tuesday, August 18, 2026

Sudan Tribune

Plural news and views on Sudan

UN confirms famine in 5 areas of Sudan, warns of catastrophic hunger

People prepare food in a Khartoum neighbourhood Friday, June 16, 2023. (AP photo

People prepare food in a Khartoum neighbourhood Friday, June 16, 2023. (AP photo

February 19, 2025 (NEW YORK) – The United Nations warned on Wednesday that famine conditions have been confirmed in at least five areas of Sudan, with children and pregnant women suffering from acute malnutrition as conflict rages.

Spokesman Stephane Dujarric told reporters that the Famine Review Committee of the Integrated Food Security Phase Classification (IPC) had confirmed “reasonable evidence of famine conditions” in Zamzam, Abu Shouk and Al Salam camps in North Darfur, and two locations in the Western Nuba Mountains.

“There are reports of people dying of starvation in some areas like Darfur, Kordofan and Khartoum,” Dujarric said, adding that approximately 638,000 people are in “catastrophic hunger conditions,” classified as IPC phase 5.

He described the situation as “horrific and sad,” noting that a record 4.7 million children under the age of five, as well as pregnant and breastfeeding women and girls, are suffering from acute malnutrition.

“People in Zamzam camp, which as you know – as we’ve told you – had been regularly bombed, are resorting to extreme measures to survive because food is so scarce. Families are eating peanut shells mixed with oil, which is typically used to feed animals,” Dujarric said.

The UN called on all parties to the conflict to “silence the guns and put the interest of their people first and foremost.”

“We urgently need to expand access and open new corridors – both cross-border and across conflict frontlines – to provide assistance and save people from dying of starvation,” Dujarric said.

He welcomed Sudanese authorities’ decision to keep the Adre border crossing open, emphasizing the importance of cross-border aid delivery.