Monday, August 24, 2026

Sudan Tribune

Plural news and views on Sudan

Sudanese army orders crackdown on looting in recaptured areas

General Yasir al-Atta (L) chairmed a meeting to discuss the security situation in Khartoum state with the participation of the state governor (R) on March 11, 2025

General Yasir al-Atta (L) chairmed a meeting to discuss the security situation in Khartoum state with the participation of the state governor (R) on March 11, 2025

 

March 11, 2025 (OMDURMAN) – A member of Sudan’s Sovereign Council and the army’s assistant commander-in-chief, Yasir al-Atta, on Tuesday ordered authorities in Khartoum state to restore security and combat lawlessness within 48 hours in areas recently recaptured by the military, state media reported.

Residents in the localities of East Nile, Bahri, and Karari have complained of widespread looting of homes by elements of the army and other opportunistic criminals, exploiting the security vacuum and the absence of police.

A Khartoum State committee meeting included Sovereign Council member Yasir al-Atta, Khartoum Governor Ahmed Osman Hamza, the deputy head of the General Intelligence Service, Mohamed Abbas al-Labib, the second commander of the Military Intelligence Authority, and commanders of military areas, police, and intelligence agencies in Khartoum State.

“The assistant commander-in-chief of the armed forces, Sovereign Council member Yassir al-Atta, issued decisions and directives to the state security committee to complete all requirements to exercise its role from its pre-war locations within a maximum period of 48 hours,” a statement from the Khartoum State government said.

The meeting resulted in several key decisions that “will reflect on the security of the citizens of Khartoum State, and their results will become apparent in the coming days,” the statement said. Among the most prominent decisions was the redeployment of all regular forces to their positions to resume their normal duties in all localities “cleared of the rebellion.”

This step aims to establish security, eliminate negative phenomena and opportunistic crime, and protect citizens and their property, the statement added. The state will also continue its efforts to provide services to facilitate the return of citizens.

In recent weeks, the army has taken full control of the Bahri and East Nile localities from the Rapid Support Forces (RSF), which had controlled these areas since the conflict began on April 15, 2023.

Joint force operations

Meanwhile, a joint force of the army, police, and General Intelligence Service in Khartoum State carried out major preventative campaigns targeting the Sabreen market north of Omdurman as part of the state security committee’s efforts to combat crime and eliminate all forms of lawlessness.

A statement issued by the Khartoum State Police said the security campaign and the removal of negative phenomena targeted markets used to sell stolen goods in the Sabreen suburb. The operation resulted in the seizure of a large quantity of stolen women’s and children’s clothing, household utensils, electrical appliances, and scrap iron.

The force arrested three suspects and initiated legal proceedings against them at the Housing Police Station, Block 72, under Article 100/68 of the Criminal Procedure Code, the statement said.

The campaign also resulted in arresting suspects driving motorcycles in violation of a local order issued by the state security committee, which prohibits motorcycle riding. The suspects and motorcycles were handed over to the competent authorities.

The statement also mentioned the arrest of suspects carrying weapons and attempting to rob a commercial store in al-Hatana, adding that legal action had been taken against them.