Tuesday, August 18, 2026

Sudan Tribune

Plural news and views on Sudan

World court schedules hearing in Sudan’s genocide convention case against UAE

The International Court of Justice (ICJ photo)

The International Court of Justice (ICJ photo)

March 28, 2025 (THE HAGUE) – The International Court of Justice (ICJ) said on Friday it will hold public hearings on April 10 regarding Sudan’s request for emergency measures against the United Arab Emirates (UAE) over alleged violations of the Genocide Convention.

Sudan filed the case on March 6, accusing the UAE of providing military, financial, and political support to the paramilitary Rapid Support Forces (RSF), thereby contributing to alleged acts of genocide against the Masalit ethnic group in Sudan’s West Darfur state. Abu Dhabi has previously denied and condemned the accusations.

The ICJ, the United Nations’ top court, also known as the World Court, said in a statement it “will hold public hearings at the Peace Palace in The Hague, the seat of the Court, in the proceedings instituted by Sudan against the United Arab Emirates (the ‘UAE’) on 5 March 2025”.

“The hearings will be devoted to the Request for the indication of provisional measures contained in Sudan’s Application,” the court added. Provisional measures are emergency steps the court can order to protect a party’s rights pending the final outcome of a case.

Sudan’s application alleges that acts committed by the RSF and allied militias include “genocide, killings, theft, rape, forced displacement, trespassing, destruction of public property, and violations of human rights.”

According to Sudan’s complaint, these alleged acts “were carried out and facilitated through the direct support provided by the United Arab Emirates to the rebellious Rapid Support Forces militia and associated armed groups.”

The International Court of Justice serves as the principal judicial organ of the United Nations.