Sudan protests exclusion from London talks, criticizes UK, UAE
April 6, 2025 (PORT SUDAN) – Sudan’s Ministry of Foreign Affairs said on Sunday it had informed its British counterpart of Khartoum’s objection to a planned conference in London, criticizing the inclusion of countries it considers parties to the conflict and calling for a review of UK policy.
The European Union (EU), Britain, France, and Germany are organizing a high-level conference on the Sudan crisis in London in mid-April, coinciding with the second anniversary of the conflict. The event aims to address the humanitarian situation and gather support for a United Nations (UN) plan targeting assistance for 20.9 million people.
A statement from the Foreign Ministry spokesperson’s office said Minister Ali Youssif sent a written message to his British counterpart, David Lammy. The message conveyed Sudan’s objection to the conference being held without an invitation to the government, while extending invitations to “countries considered parties to the war against the country,” according to the statement.
The Sudanese statement noted that while the British Foreign Office stated the conference participants support peace, the invitees include the United Arab Emirates (UAE), Chad, and Kenya – countries allegedly implicated in the conflict and supporting the paramilitary group.
According to the statement, inviting the UAE offers it an “opportunity to beautify its image and cover up its involvement in crimes of genocide in Sudan.”
Sudan has filed a case against the UAE at the International Court of Justice (ICJ), scheduled for consideration on April 10, concerning the UAE’s alleged involvement in genocide committed by the Rapid Support Forces (RSF) against the Masalit ethnic group in West Darfur.
Khartoum accuses the UAE of supplying military equipment and strategic drones to the RSF via Chad. Sudan has lodged formal complaints against the UAE at the UN Security Council and against Chad at the African Union (AU).
The Foreign Ministry statement reiterated criticism of British policy, highlighting the postponement of a UN Security Council session scheduled for April 29, 2024. That session was meant to discuss alleged UAE arms supplies to the RSF but was replaced the following month with general discussions on the war.
The statement asserted that the British government prevented a Security Council discussion on the UAE’s alleged role in the Sudan war in April 2024. “If the Security Council had discussed this matter and taken a decisive stance, it would have led to saving countless innocent lives and ending the war,” the ministry statement claimed.
The message delivered to the UK last week, the statement said, criticized London’s approach for allegedly equating the Sudanese state with the paramilitary RSF. The message described the RSF as a “terrorist militia” committing genocide, crimes against humanity, and atrocities against civilians.
The statement added that the message cited alleged evidence of British leniency towards the RSF, referencing British media reports of secret talks between the UK Foreign Office and the RSF despite U.S. sanctions on the group.
Foreign Minister Youssif stressed in the message that Britain “represents a centre for launching RSF propaganda that spreads hate speech and justifies sexual violence,” the statement reported.
“Many in Sudan are now asking: How many more atrocities and massacres must the Rapid Support Forces commit against Sudanese people before Britain recognizes it as a terrorist group?” the minister was quoted as adding in the message.
The message urged the British government to revise its policy towards Sudan and engage constructively with Khartoum, invoking the historical ties between the two countries.
