Darfur
UN warns of rapidly worsening Sudan crisis, thousands flee Darfur violence
April 9, 2025 (UNITED NATIONS) – The United Nations warned on Wednesday of a rapidly deteriorating humanitarian situation in Sudan’s Darfur region as escalating violence forces thousands more people from their homes, compounding already severe conditions, including confirmed famine in one camp.
UN spokesman Stephane Dujarric, citing the Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs (OCHA), said more than 4,000 people were newly displaced in North Darfur state in the past week alone due to intensified fighting around the city of El Fasher.
“Insecurity continues to push thousands of people across the Darfur region out of their homes, as humanitarian conditions rapidly deteriorate even further,” Dujarric told reporters. The violence affects areas including the Zamzam displacement camp south of El Fasher, where famine conditions were previously confirmed.
Fleeing families, including many women and children, urgently need shelter, food, water and medical supplies, but severe funding gaps and logistical challenges cripple aid efforts, Dujarric said.
He noted that one aid partner operating in Zamzam camp reported suspending water trucking for newly displaced people there due to rising costs and fuel shortages.
Since the latest phase of hostilities began in April 2023, OCHA estimates more than 400,000 people have been displaced within or from the El Fasher locality alone, Dujarric added.
The conflict’s impact is felt across the country. Dujarric said intensified fighting had disrupted a period of calm in western neighbourhoods of Omdurman, near the capital Khartoum, also creating new displacement.
In northern Sudan, drone attacks earlier this week reportedly caused civilian casualties, damaged critical infrastructure, and forced the suspension of operations at the Merowe Dam, leading to widespread power outages across several states, according to the spokesman.
“The UN calls – yet again – for an immediate cessation of hostilities and unhindered humanitarian access across Sudan,” Dujarric stated. He also repeated appeals for donors to increase funding to maintain life-saving services and help agencies reach populations desperately in need.
