Wednesday, August 19, 2026

Sudan Tribune

Plural news and views on Sudan

UAE-supplied Chinese weapons fuelling Sudan conflict, breaching arms embargo

An AH-4 155mm howitzer manufactured by Norinco, pictured in Amnesty International's findings.

An AH-4 155mm howitzer manufactured by Norinco, pictured in Amnesty International's findings.

May 8? 2025 (LONDON) – Sophisticated Chinese weaponry, likely provided by the United Arab Emirates (UAE), has been identified in Sudan, demonstrating a clear breach of the UN arms embargo, Amnesty International said in a report released on Thursday.

The rights group’s investigation uncovered the use of Chinese-manufactured GB50A guided bombs and 155mm AH-4 howitzers by the Rapid Support Forces (RSF) in Khartoum and the Darfur region. This marks the first documented use of GB50A bombs in any active conflict globally, Amnesty said.

“This is clear evidence that sophisticated Chinese-made guided bombs and howitzers have been used in Sudan,” said Brian Castner, Head of Crisis Research at Amnesty International.

By analyzing visual evidence from attacks, Amnesty International traced the GB50A bomb fragments from a March 9 drone strike near al-Malha in North Darfur back to the Norinco Group, a Chinese state-owned defense corporation. Markings on the fragments indicated the bomb was manufactured in 2024. The report noted that these bombs are compatible with drones exclusively used by the RSF in Sudan and supplied by the UAE.

Furthermore, videos from late March showed the Sudanese Armed Forces (SAF) seizing Norinco 155mm AH-4 howitzers from retreating RSF fighters in Khartoum. Amnesty International cited data showing the UAE as the sole importer of these howitzers from China in 2019, strongly suggesting the UAE’s continued support for the RSF.

“The presence of recently manufactured Chinese bombs in North Darfur is a clear violation of the arms embargo by the UAE. Our documentation of AH-4 howitzers in Khartoum further strengthens a growing body of evidence showing extensive UAE support to the RSF, in violation of international law,” Castner added.

Amnesty International condemned the UN Security Council’s failure to enforce the existing arms embargo on Darfur and its lack of action to extend it to the entire country. “Civilians are being killed and injured because of global inaction, while the UAE continues to flaunt the embargo,” Castner asserted. The organization called for an immediate halt to UAE arms transfers to the RSF and urged all states to cease arms transfers to the UAE until it can guarantee no re-exports to embargoed destinations and ensures thorough investigations into past breaches.

The report also highlighted China’s responsibility under the Arms Trade Treaty (ATT) to prevent the diversion of arms to Sudan, given its continued supply to the UAE. Similarly, Amnesty International stated that the UAE, also a signatory to the ATT, has undermined the treaty’s objectives.

Amnesty International had previously documented the flow of weapons from various countries, including China, Russia, Türkiye, and the UAE, into Sudan in violation of the Darfur arms embargo.

The conflict between the SAF and RSF, ongoing since April 2023, has resulted in the deaths of tens of thousands and widespread human rights abuses. A recent Amnesty International investigation also detailed widespread sexual violence committed by the RSF, amounting to war crimes.

Amnesty International said it had contacted the Norinco Group on April 18 regarding its findings but had yet to receive a response.