Sudan army pulls back from border zone, cites threat from Libya
June 11, 2025 (KHARTOUM) – Sudan’s army said on Wednesday it had evacuated a strategic border zone shared with Libya and Egypt, calling it a defensive move against potential incursions by militia forces loyal to Libyan commander Khalifa Haftar.
The move follows an accusation by the Sudanese army on Tuesday that Haftar’s forces, fighting alongside Sudan’s paramilitary Rapid Support Forces (RSF), had attacked its border posts.
A group loyal to Haftar denied the charge, calling it a “blatant attempt to export Sudan’s internal crisis and create a virtual external enemy” and said one of its own patrols had been attacked.
In a statement, a Sudanese army spokesman said the evacuation of the triangle area was part of “defensive arrangements to repel aggression.”
Tensions in the remote region flared on June 6, when a Libyan unit loyal to Haftar reportedly entered about 3 km (2 miles) into Sudanese territory near Mount Arkenu. A clash with an armed group allied with Sudan’s army left two Libyan soldiers dead and others captured, according to the initial report.
Haftar, whose forces control eastern Libya, has been accused of providing military support to the RSF in its war against the Sudanese army. The allegations, which Haftar denies, include allowing the RSF to use bases in Libya as logistical and training hubs.
