Over 86,000 flee to Sudan from South Sudan since April, UN Says
June 18, 2025 (KHARTOUM) – More than 86,000 people have crossed into Sudan from South Sudan since April, the UN Refugee Agency (UNHCR) said in a report on Wednesday, as instability and violence in South Sudan drive a new wave of displacement.
The influx includes an estimated 45,084 newly arrived South Sudanese refugees and 41,068 Sudanese citizens returning to the country. The displacement is being driven by political instability and rising hostilities between armed groups in South Sudan, particularly in the Upper Nile state.
The continuous daily arrivals are placing “immense pressure” on services in Sudan, especially in the White Nile State, which has received the majority of the new South Sudanese refugees. This state was already hosting 412,000 South Sudanese refugees and 847,000 internally displaced Sudanese people before the recent influx.
Among the new arrivals are more than 41,000 Sudanese returnees who are now concentrated in Blue Nile State. Having previously fled the conflict in Sudan, they are now returning from South Sudan, citing insecurity and a prolonged lack of food assistance and essential services in South Sudanese camps as the reason for their move.
Humanitarian assistance, including hot meals, shelter, food, and water, is being provided upon arrival. The UNHCR also stated it is exploring a partnership with the Sudanese Red Crescent Society and the International Organization for Migration (IOM) to strengthen border monitoring efforts.
