Sudan reports widening cholera, measles outbreaks as supplies run low
July 8, 2025 (KHARTOUM) – Sudan is battling widespread outbreaks of cholera, dengue fever and measles, the health ministry said on Tuesday, as stocks of essential medicines and supplies run low.
The United Nations Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs (OCHA) had warned on July 3 that as many as 33.5 million people, including 5.7 million children, were at risk of contracting cholera.
In the last week alone, 603 new cholera infections and eight deaths were registered, the ministry’s emergency operations centre said in a statement. The new figures raise the total toll to 85,531 cases and 2,145 deaths across 17 of the country’s 18 states.
The ministry flagged a rise in cases among people returning from neighbouring South Sudan. About 110,000 people have recently crossed back into states like Sennar and White Nile, fleeing insecurity and shortages of food and services in refugee camps.
The country is also grappling with other epidemics. Cumulative cases of dengue fever have reached 13,314, including 21 deaths, while measles infections have climbed to 2,547, with six fatalities, the statement added.
The outbreaks are compounded by a shortage of medical supplies. The ministry said the availability of necessary medicines varied widely by state, from 76% in North Kordofan to as low as 57% in Gedaref. It noted that the supply of intravenous fluids needed to treat cholera and dengue was also inconsistent, but did not provide specific figures.
A shipment of aid from the World Health Organization for the autumn season is currently being dispatched to several states, the ministry said.
Sudan has faced recurring cholera waves since mid-2024. Health authorities have linked many outbreaks to residents consuming contaminated water after attacks by the paramilitary Rapid Support Forces on power infrastructure disrupted water treatment plants.
