Tuesday, August 18, 2026

Sudan Tribune

Plural news and views on Sudan

Fighting flares in Sudan’s El Fasher as army, RSF clash

An RSF vehicle destroyed by the Sudanese army in El Fasher on June 15, 2025.

An RSF vehicle destroyed by the Sudanese army in El Fasher on June 15, 2025.

July 11, 2025 (EL FASHER) – Fighting between the Sudanese army and the paramilitary Rapid Support Forces (RSF) renewed in the North Darfur capital of El Fasher on Friday after several weeks of relative calm, residents and activist groups said.

The army stated in a press release that it had repelled an attack and inflicted “heavy losses” on the RSF, adding that its defensive positions were secure.

The El Fasher Resistance Committees, an activist group, reported “violent confrontations” in the southern part of the city. In a later update, the group said calm had returned but accused the RSF of shelling several areas with heavy artillery after the direct clashes subsided.

The renewed fighting follows weeks of RSF artillery and drone attacks on the city. Medical sources and local activists say at least 70 people, including 14 women, have been killed over the last five weeks in shelling that has hit sites including the Abushouk camp for displaced people.

The violence has worsened an already dire humanitarian situation for thousands of residents trapped in the city, who face severe shortages of food and medicine amid a blockade.

U.N. Secretary-General Antonio Guterres has previously called for a humanitarian truce to allow aid into El Fasher, but the warring sides have failed to reach an agreement.