Saturday, August 22, 2026

Sudan Tribune

Plural news and views on Sudan

UN says at least 300 killed in ‘brutal’ attacks in Sudan’s Kordofan

Members of the Sudanese army are pictured at an undisclosed location in North Kordofan state.

Members of the Sudanese army are pictured at an undisclosed location in North Kordofan state, file photo.

July 15, 2025 (UNITED NATIONS) – At least 300 people, including children and pregnant women, were killed in a series of “brutal” attacks on villages in Sudan’s North Kordofan region last week, the United Nations said on Tuesday, as escalating hostilities worsen the country’s humanitarian crisis.

The attacks, which took place between July 10 and July 13 in the Bara locality, also left many more injured, with homes looted and burned, U.N. spokesperson Stephane Dujarric told reporters.

He said the U.N.’s humanitarian office (OCHA) was gravely concerned, but that ongoing communications disruptions made it difficult to confirm the exact number of civilian casualties.

“These incidents are another tragic reminder of the relentless toll the conflict is taking on civilians across Sudan,” OCHA said in a statement. The agency called on all parties to the conflict to respect their obligations under international humanitarian law and stressed that civilians and civilian infrastructure “must never be targeted.”

Further violence was reported in West Kordofan State during the same period, where attacks on the villages of Al Fula and Abu Zabad killed more than 20 people. Dujarric said the victims included people who died in an air strike on a school that was sheltering displaced families.

The conflict is driving fresh waves of displacement, with more than 3,000 people arriving in the Ad-Dabbah locality of Northern State since June, putting more pressure on stretched resources.

Compounding the crisis, the rainy season is bringing further hardship. In eastern Gedaref state, heavy rains and winds on Sunday destroyed shelters and food supplies for about 2,700 displaced people.

While more than 1.3 million people have returned to their home areas since last November, they face “worsening living conditions and shortages of basic services,” Dujarric said.

The U.N. issued an urgent appeal for increased support, noting that this year’s humanitarian response plan for Sudan has received approximately $950 million, which is just 23% of its goal.