US hosts Sudan Quartet meeting July 20 on new peace proposal
July 17, 2025 (WASHINGTON) – The United States will host a meeting of the Sudan Quartet on July 20 to discuss a new American proposal for ending the war between Sudan’s army and paramilitary forces, a diplomatic source familiar with the matter said.
The Quartet, comprising the United States, UAE, Egypt and Saudi Arabia, had previously delayed the meeting due to disagreements over including Sudanese parties, the source told Sudan Tribune.
The U.S. plan centres on two steps: an immediate cessation of hostilities declaration followed by efforts to bring together Army Commander Abdel Fattah al-Burhan and Rapid Support Forces leader Mohamed Hamdan Dagalo, known as Hemedti, according to the diplomatic source.
“Washington is aiming for a unified position, which may require concessions from some member states,” the source said, without providing details.
The meeting will feature high-level representation from all participating nations, the source added.
Civilian participation remains contentious after the U.S. proposed inviting leaders from the civilian government ousted in October 2021, but Egypt objected, a senior Western diplomat told Sudan Tribune earlier this week.
Jaafar Hassan, spokesperson for the Samoud Civil Democratic Alliance, confirmed that former Prime Minister Abdalla Hamdok, who heads the alliance, was not invited.
“Effectively, no invitation was extended from the U.S. administration for the Samoud alliance to attend the Quartet meetings,” Hassan said.
Hassan noted that last month’s Quartet meeting produced commitments to stop the war, protect civilians, deliver humanitarian aid and launch a political process leading to civilian rule.
Sudan’s conflict began in April 2023 when tensions between the army and RSF erupted into warfare, displacing over 12 million people and pushing the country toward famine, according to United Nations estimates.
