Thursday, August 20, 2026

Sudan Tribune

Plural news and views on Sudan

Sudanese leaders question new EU sanctions, call for tougher action

Babikir Faisal

Babikir Faisal, Unionist Alliance leader

July 18, 2025 (PORT SUDAN) Sudanese political leaders on Friday questioned the effectiveness of a new round of European Union sanctions against key figures in the country’s two-year-long war, arguing for stronger international pressure to cut off supply lines to the warring factions.

The reaction came as the EU announced its fourth package of sanctions, targeting two individuals and two economic entities for their roles in the ongoing conflict between the Sudanese army and the paramilitary Rapid Support Forces (RSF).

Babiker Faisal, a leader in the Federal Gathering political bloc, told Sudan Tribune that years of sanctions have had no significant impact. “So far, they have not shown a strong effect in stopping the war,” Faisal said, citing a “lack of genuine will” from the conflict’s leaders to find peace.

Imam Al-Hlou, head of policy for the National Umma Party, echoed that sentiment, arguing that sanctions are unlikely to have a quick impact. He said the international focus should be on cutting off logistical and financial supply lines to both the army and the RSF.

“The international community must confront the external parties and companies that finance the war,” Al-Hlou told Sudan Tribune, adding that such entities seek to “prolong the war for their own agendas.”

Friday’s EU sanctions targeted Al-Khaleej Bank and gold company Red Rock Mining. The list also included army commander Abuqala Kيكل, who briefly defected to the RSF in the past, and RSF field commander Hussein Barsham, who is accused of orchestrating mass atrocities in Darfur.

As an alternative to the current sanctions strategy, Faisal said his ‘Samoud’ Civil Democratic Alliance has proposed forming an independent international committee to investigate all crimes committed during the conflict legally.