Monday, August 17, 2026

Sudan Tribune

Plural news and views on Sudan

Sudan’s former defence minister slated for house arrest, lawyer says

Sudan's Defence Minister Abdelrahim Hussein, file Reuters photo

Sudan's Defence Minister Abdel Rahim Hussein, file Reuters photo

 

August 6, 2025 (KHARTOUM) – Arrangements are underway to transfer Sudan’s former defence minister, Abdel Rahim Mohamed Hussein, to house arrest, where he will be held under military intelligence guard at his hometown, a member of his defence team said on Wednesday.

Mohamed Alhassan al-Amin, a member of the defence team, told Sudan Tribune that “arrangements are underway to change the detention location of former Defence Minister Abdel Rahim Mohamed Hussein to house arrest under the guard of military intelligence in his hometown in Northern State.”

Al-Amin denied media reports that Hussein had already been released. He confirmed that Hussein remains in his current place of detention under army guard and has not yet been transferred.

Hussein, along with ousted President Omer al-Bashir and other senior civilian and military figures of the former regime, faces charges of undermining the constitutional order for their role in the 1989 military coup. The trial proceedings were suspended following the outbreak of war between the Sudanese army and the Rapid Support Forces (RSF) in April 2023.

In September 2024, military authorities transferred Hussein, Bashir, former First Vice President Bakri Hassan Saleh, and retired Brigadier General Youssif Abdel Fattah from the Wadi Seidna area in Omdurman to a hospital in Merowe, Northern State, citing their deteriorating health.

The army later released Saleh and Abdel Fattah in April of this year, stating their worsening health conditions required continuous medical treatment.