Sudanese senior official briefs Juba on war progress, rejects parallel government
August 11, 2025 (JUBA/PORT SUDAN) – A top Sudanese official met with South Sudan’s president on Monday to provide an update on his country’s civil war and reject any moves by paramilitary rivals to form a “parallel government,” officials from both nations said.
The visit by Sudan’s Deputy Sovereign Council Chairman Malik Agar to Juba aimed to strengthen security and economic ties between the neighbours as the conflict in Sudan grinds on.
In a meeting with South Sudanese President Salva Kiir Mayardit, Agar asserted that the Sudanese Armed Forces (SAF) were making “significant progress” against the paramilitary Rapid Support Forces (RSF), according to a statement from Agar’s office.
Agar also briefed Kiir on the humanitarian situation in the besieged city of El Fasher and reiterated Khartoum’s opposition to what he called “attempts to form what is referred to as a ‘parallel government’ by the Rapid Support Forces militia.”
South Sudan’s Foreign Minister, Monday Semaya Kumba, described the meetings as “very important and historical.” He said President Kiir welcomed the delegation and reiterated South Sudan’s support for the peace process in Sudan.
It is worth mentioning that the South Sudanese presidency has stopped covering the visits and meetings of Sudanese officials with President Kiir.
The war between the SAF and RSF, which erupted in April 2023, has caused a severe humanitarian crisis and displaced millions, many of whom have fled to neighbouring countries like South Sudan.
Discussions also focused on boosting economic cooperation, with Agar meeting South Sudan’s Vice President, Benjamin Bol Mel, to discuss investment and the activation of previously signed agreements, according to the South Sudanese Foreign Minister.
As a sign of closer relations, Agar extended an invitation to Kiir and other South Sudanese officials to visit Sudan. Agar’s office stated that Kiir expressed “preliminary agreement” to the visit.
