Sudan warns of rising Nile levels in northern states
October 3, 2025 (KHARTOUM) – Sudan’s government on Friday warned residents in northern states of rising Nile levels, as recent floods displaced dozens of families and damaged farmland further south.
The Ministry of Agriculture and Irrigation said that while the river is receding between Roseires and Khartoum, it is rising in the northern sector between Khartoum and Kajbar in the Northern State. It urged residents there to take precautions to protect their lives and property.
Several monitoring stations, including those in Khartoum and Shendi, have reached flood stage, the ministry said. Dozens of families in villages north of the capital’s Khartoum Bahri district have been displaced in the last two days.
Authorities have attributed the flooding to a combination of factors, including the discharge of water from Ethiopia’s Grand Renaissance Dam, climate change, and delayed heavy rainfall.
A Civil Defence official, Major General Qurashi Hussein, told Sudan Tribune that damage has so far been confined to the agricultural sector in the states of Sennar, Gezira, and Khartoum, where losses are being assessed.
He confirmed that no deaths or injuries have been recorded to date.
Although floodwaters began to recede in some areas on Friday, local sources said movement remained obstructed and homes were still threatened with collapse in villages including al-Faki Hashim and Wad Ramli.
