Monday, August 17, 2026

Sudan Tribune

Plural news and views on Sudan

Sudan’s RSF detains Al Jazeera journalist, prompting calls for release

Moamar Ibrahim speaking from El Fasher

Moamar Ibrahim speaking from El Fasher

October 28, 2025 (KHARTOUM) – Sudanese and international media watchdogs are demanding the immediate release of Al Jazeera correspondent Moammer Ibrahim, who was arrested by the Rapid Support Forces (RSF) on Sunday after the paramilitary group announced its capture of El-Fasher.

“The arrest of Moammer Ibrahim is a deplorable and unacceptable act, and a direct assault on press freedom,” said Kamal Al-Sadiq, the head of the Sudan Media Forum (SMF). “Moammer was not a combatant against the RSF, but a journalist bravely performing his duty to report the facts from the ground. Journalism is not a crime, and journalists must be protected, not arrested.”

Ibrahim had been covering the war from inside El-Fasher since its outbreak. He appeared in a video distributed by the RSF, surrounded by armed soldiers, where he was permitted to give a brief message of reassurance.

In a statement, the Sudanese Journalists Syndicate held the RSF “fully responsible for the safety of journalist Moammer Ibrahim” and demanded his “immediate and unconditional release.” The syndicate expressed deep concern for his fate amid a media blackout in the city caused by the shutdown of communication networks.

The New York-based Committee to Protect Journalists (CPJ) also condemned the arrest.

“The unlawful abduction of freelance journalist Moammer Ibrahim by the Rapid Support Forces reveals a flagrant disregard for press freedom and human rights,” said Sarah Qadah, CPJ’s regional director. “The RSF must immediately release Ibrahim, ensure his safety, and cease targeting journalists who risk their lives to document the atrocities committed against civilians.”

Journalists in Sudan have faced increasing dangers since the war began in April 2023. At least 32 journalists have been killed, dozens have been arrested, and media infrastructure has been systematically destroyed.

The Sudanese Journalists Syndicate stated it has been unable to contact Ibrahim to ascertain his condition due to the communications blackout in El-Fasher. Iman Fadl Al-Sayed, the syndicate’s freedoms secretary, noted that the lack of conventional networks prevents contact with Ibrahim or other journalists still in the city.

“The only available network is Starlink in some areas, but it appears journalists are not permitted to use it,” she said. “Soldiers typically confiscate mobile phones, making it impossible to reach journalists even if they are otherwise safe.”