Wednesday, August 19, 2026

Sudan Tribune

Plural news and views on Sudan

Sudan says foreign aircraft used banned gas in El Fasher attack

Al-Harith Idriss Al-Harith Mohamed, Sudan's Permanent Representative, addresses the Security Council meeting on January 27, 2025. UN photo

Al-Harith Idriss Al-Harith Mohamed, Sudan's Permanent Representative, addresses the Security Council meeting on January 27, 2025. UN photo

October 30, 2025 (NEW YORK) – Sudan’s envoy to the United Nations told the Security Council on Thursday that foreign aircraft supporting the paramilitary Rapid Support Forces (RSF) bombed an army headquarters in El Fasher last week with an internationally banned gas.

The council met to discuss the situation in El Fasher after the RSF captured the North Darfur capital on Oct. 26, following 18 months of attacks.

Sudan’s envoy, Al-Harith Idris, called on the council to condemn the foreign air support that he said targeted the army’s 6th Infantry Division positions with nerve gas.

He also urged the council to designate the RSF as a terrorist organization and to sanction states and individuals who finance or supply it with weapons, mercenaries, and drones.

Idris called for an investigation into what he described as the genocide of El Fasher’s population, saying there would be no negotiations with the RSF unless it laid down its arms.

RSF fighters committed widespread violations after taking the city, including killing 460 patients at a hospital and 2,000 civilians, in addition to months of sexual violence and the shelling of homes and shelters, according to the Sudanese mission.

Idris said Sudan would resist what he called a project by regional and international sponsors to dismantle the country.

The UN Security Council condemned the RSF’s attack on El Fasher and the atrocities committed against civilians, demanding accountability for the perpetrators.

Sudan has accused the United Arab Emirates of supplying the RSF with weapons, drones, and armoured vehicles. The Security Council has not yet acted on a formal complaint, which Sudan says is supported by evidence, filed against Abu Dhabi over the support.